Cannot save Ship Design

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Serpent
Space Krill

Cannot save Ship Design

#1 Post by Serpent »

If i create Ship Design and want to save it, i get error, unable to save file C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion.
There are some ship design in this directory, i created design before. But new desine unable to save. (4.8 and 4.10, Win10)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Cannot save Ship Design

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Did you previously run the program as an administrator? Perhaps it saved files you now don't have rights to modify?

What happens if you delete the already present save design files or the whole shipdesigns directory?

Can you zip and attach freeorion.log from immediately after getting the error message when trying to save a design?

Serpent
Space Krill

#3 Post by Serpent »

I run as an administrator, and i've controlled all permissions. Save games ok, and when i've open old design, rename it, change hull and do another ship, files have been modified. I can delete design, from game or from OS. I can copy old design made for 4.8 and use it, except hull have been modified in 4.10. Problem only to save design in a file.
Attachments
freeorion.7z
(142.25 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

My guess is that it's not handing properly the non-ascii characters in your windows username "ÐÐÐ".

Serpent
Space Krill

#5 Post by Serpent »

My username is AOA by Latin script, i do not know, why is written "ÐÐÐ" in log.

duckstab
Space Krill

#6 Post by duckstab »

I have exactly the same issue, and it looks like somehow one of my earlier save files got written with the wrong permissions:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (16.38 KiB) Viewed 9373 times
I didn't deliberately run as a different user so I'm not sure what happened there.

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

duckstab wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:29 pm...it looks like somehow one of my earlier save files got written with the wrong permissions
I don't think save files would have anything to do with saving ship designs.

Is the shipdesigns directory perhaps write-protected somehow?

duckstab
Space Krill

#8 Post by duckstab »

I investigated further and found that my 0.4.10 files were all owned by "Administrators". I took ownership of everything which got me past that.

However, it seems that saving custom designs works a bit differently between 0.4.8 and 0.4.10, and maybe that's what my real problem was.

In 0.4.8, any time I added it to the Finished list the design would remain available for the rest of the game until I marked it obsolete or deleted it. If I saved the game and reloaded it later, the design was still there. I guess I assumed it was included in the game save file since the design would be gone if I started a new game.

In 0.4.10, if I *don't* actually Save a design from the Finished list and save the game the design seems to be gone for good when I reload. It doesn't show up as available for production, doesn't show up in the Finished list, and yet also can't be recreated (I get the duplicate design error). It seems the only way to keep a design across game save/reload is to explicitly Save it. Kind of a nuisance but I guess I can get used to that if that's the way 0.4.10 works now.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#9 Post by Ophiuchus »

duckstab wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:59 pm I can get used to that if that's the way 0.4.10 works now.
If i got you what you describe-that is not the way 0.4.10 is supposed work. Saving designs is for having those available in a new game. Finished designs should be available on save/reload.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

duckstab
Space Krill

#10 Post by duckstab »

Seems like an actual defect or something wrong with my installation/config then.

I have a workaround but should I report this as a bug?

Mithlas
Space Krill

#11 Post by Mithlas »

Win64 FreeOrion v0.4.10.2

I saw that when I attempted to modify one of the pre-existing ship designs, sort of, it dropped that design into 'all' but would never allow me to build it, or rename or delete that design. I had to uninstall and delete all the save data to get it to go away.

Also: is there a known problem with the game reverting to previous versions of ship designs? I designed a bomber with 1 of each of the 'second level' bombardment weapons and saved it to use for an annoying AI. Once I researched the Chaos Wave ship part I went to ship designs and replaced all 4 of those bombardment weapons with Chaos Wave and hit "update design". The first bomber group I built appeared to come out fine, then did a few other things because I was busy terraforming a lot of my empire and trying to break a couple colonies in another area from a blockade with an AI that supposedly accepted a peace deal.

When I built a new bomber group it listed the newest group's weapons as using the version 1 of the bomber with the 4 separate bombardment weapons instead of Chaos Wave. When I opened Ship Design, Bomber was back to the version 1 with 4 separate weapons. I removed those and replaced them with Chaos Wave, but the "update design" and "create new design" were greyed out and claimed "a ship with this design already exists, Bomber". However, the design it opened up was the version 1 and not version 2. I tried to delete that and re-create it with the same chassis and equipment and it did not allow the 'new' design to be saved because "a ship with this design already exists, Bomber" even though I did not Obsolete the old one, I chose Delete from the right-click menu and no version of Bomber appeared on any of the ship design tabs.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by LienRag »

Mithlas wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:39 am
Also: is there a known problem with the game reverting to previous versions of ship designs?
Yes.