Isolated systems [03317a5]

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Isolated systems [03317a5]

#1 Post by AndrewW »

Should those systems be completely isolated?

Rhilus is the experimenter colony and a couple of bloated juggernaughts has slipped though into the 3 systems, but other then that they are isolated from everything else.
Isolated.png
Isolated.png (155.81 KiB) Viewed 1883 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Isolated systems [03317a5]

#2 Post by Dilvish »

AndrewW wrote:Should those systems be completely isolated? Rhilus is the experimenter colony and a couple of bloated juggernaughts has slipped though into the 3 systems, but other then that they are isolated from everything else.
Well, that depends on how you mean "should". It's the experimentor add/remove starlanes effect that is making this isolated. We don't currently have a decent way to prevent it, it seems. It's recognized as not ideal, and I've mused a bit on some kind of graph analysis ValueRef or Condition that would let us prevent this from happening, but haven't done anything on implementation yet.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#3 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:]Well, that depends on how you mean "should". It's the experimentor add/remove starlanes effect that is making this isolated. We don't currently have a decent way to prevent it, it seems. It's recognized as not ideal, and I've mused a bit on some kind of graph analysis ValueRef or Condition that would let us prevent this from happening, but haven't done anything on implementation yet.
As in, do we want systems that are completely isolated, not reachable?

Maybe after the Experimentors are setup (if present) a check could be run? If isolated add new starlane.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

AndrewW wrote:Maybe after the Experimentors are setup (if present) a check could be run? If isolated add new starlane.
Proposing a general decision like that is the trivially easy part. Do you have any thoughts on how to check for isolation with current FOCS? And then there is the issue of choosing a starlane to add; which might or might not be able to leverage the same analysis as was used to check for isolation.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I had planned to add a condition that would test whether starlanes were essential to maintain galaxy connectivity, but never implemented it.

Such a condition could possibly be adapted to be used in a location condition to check whether a potential system to contain Experimentors has connected lanes that are essential for connectivity, so those systems could be avoided.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

I remain of the opinion the best way to do it is place the Experimentors first, before homeworlds, somewhere in the centre of the map, which would normally eliminate this from happening (Clusters could be a problem but I think Clusters is already problematic).

I've seen worse, it's not ideal but while they're restricted in their placements as they are I don't see a way around it.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#7 Post by AndrewW »

MatGB wrote:I remain of the opinion the best way to do it is place the Experimentors first, before homeworlds, somewhere in the centre of the map, which would normally eliminate this from happening (Clusters could be a problem but I think Clusters is already problematic).
Note, was a cluster.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#8 Post by Sloth »

Another option would be to add an additional system for the experimentors after everything else (maybe even with FOCS on turn 0).
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

Sloth wrote:Another option would be to add an additional system for the experimentors after everything else (maybe even with FOCS on turn 0).
That, and move the experimentor placement and initialization into the universe generation scripts. You've got a lot more flexibility there, and this is definitely complex enough to be better done there than with FOCS.