Production menu multiplier mousewheel scrolling

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Production menu multiplier mousewheel scrolling

#1 Post by MatGB »

I found a hidden UI feature I had no idea of earlier, but I also found a bug.

When using my scrollwheel to move the production queue earlier it stopped and I couldn't figure out why, then I noticed that the numbers in a multiplier (ie X* repear or Y*totaltobuild) under the scrollwheel was changing. I wasn't aware this was possible but it was far quicker than actually selecting the menu so I set things where I wanted and went back to the map.

When the batch completed, I only got one ship. Testing around, if you do anything else to the production queue, add or move something, etc, the numbers reset. But if, once you've got the number displaying where you want, you click the multiplier to open the dropdown, it will be set at where you want and you can close the dropdown.

The mulipliers are only actually set if you open the dropdown, but they display as being set when you stop scrolling. That's not a good UX, but if it can be fixed (in some way) it's an excellent UI feature that negates the problems some of us have with the entries at the bottom of the list and the scrollbar.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Production menu multiplier mousewheel scrolling

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Droplists responding to mousewheel events only started happening a week or two ago when I made them do so. The production repeat / batch size drop Control is oddly implemented, though, to only respond to LClick events, and not general selection changed events from the underlying DropDownList. When I attempt to call the same function after general selection events, it crashes. When this crash happens is unclear, and I haven't had time to figure it out / fix it.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Ah, had missed the commit, so new incomplete feature not problematic undocumented existing feature, cool, I like it hope you can find time to sort the quirks out at some point (it's usable as is, having to open it after selection is better than not being able to select at all)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:The production repeat / batch size drop Control is oddly implemented, though, to only respond to LClick events, and not general selection changed events from the underlying DropDownList.
That was me; can't recall now what the issue was, if I was simply insufficiently familiar with GG::DropDownLists or what, so I'll take some responsibility to help clear it up.
When I attempt to call the same function after general selection events, it crashes.
Could you please try PR#288 and see if that crashes for you or not (seems to work fine for me).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I have some grooming changes to commit, so don't do anything more for a bit...

Edit: done

Dilvish

#6 Post by Dilvish »

To recap the PR here, mousewheel adjustment to production queue quantity and blocksize should be working fine now, without needing to leftclick (just mouseover the dropdown and use the mousewheel).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

Yup, just accidentally doubled my order of Titan hulls and had most of my queue go blank but that was me being careless.

Cool, I shall continue looking for bugs, glad I mentioned it, very useful.
Mat Bowles

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by MatGB »

K, two crashes today, both in production window using dropdowns, actually clicking and selecting a number, when I select the game just crashes (app closes itself completely and quickly), nothing in the logs of any use, compiled from 47fc524 yesterday.

Given the circumstances I can't help but suspect it's related.
Mat Bowles

Dilvish

#9 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:K, two crashes today, both in production window using dropdowns, actually clicking and selecting a number, when I select the game just crashes (app closes itself completely and quickly), nothing in the logs of any use, compiled from 47fc524 yesterday.
Given the circumstances I can't help but suspect it's related.
It might be, but I can't replicate the problem. Your description is reasonably specific, but could you try giving even some more detail, so Geoff can tell if it seems like the same thing he encountered, and so we might get ideas on what to look at more closely.

Geoff, on a somewhat related matter (but not a crash), the recent resizing changes have made it so the dropdowns have scrollbars, which they didn't used to, and the scrollbars obscure quite a bit of the dropdown values.

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:
MatGB wrote:K, two crashes today, both in production window using dropdowns, actually clicking and selecting a number...
...more detail, so Geoff can tell if it seems like the same thing he encountered...
Not the same. My crash was when mousewheeling without having the droplist open.