Save game button dimmed / disabled aftrer 200+ turns playing

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

coole27
Space Krill

Save game button dimmed / disabled aftrer 200+ turns playing

#1 Post by coole27 »

Hi,

I'm wanderning If I am missing something here - at one point during playing the game it is not possible to save anymore; the "save game" button in Menu is gray and unclickable - the autosave works, so I can continiue playing - but still; it's wierd. Anybody has any experience with it so far? In early turns it works unitill I reach the point between 250-350 turns (last game I played I noticed that I couldn't save at around 350 turn, and this game arount 270 turn)

I'm running Os X 10.6.8 and FreeOrinon is version 0.4.4

I'm attaching the screenshot too:
Screen shot 2015-08-14 at 20.38.10.png
Screen shot 2015-08-14 at 20.38.10.png (795.84 KiB) Viewed 2590 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Save game button dimmed / disabled aftrer 200+ turns pla

#2 Post by Dilvish »

coole27 wrote:I'm wanderning If I am missing something here - at one point during playing the game it is not possible to save anymore; the "save game" button in Menu is gray and unclickable... Anybody has any experience with it so far?
If the AIs were still determining their moves when you first opened that menu, that would (intentionally) cause the save button to be disabled. You can tell that from the little green triangle next to their icon on the right hand side of the Empires window. In your screenshot, your empire has the green triangle and theirs do not, but perhaps when you had opened the menu one of them still had it?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

coole27
Space Krill

#3 Post by coole27 »

Yes, that must be it - when they all have these three dots the button is enabled again; and it's disabled when there are triangles - there probably was a triangle present on some AI when I opened the menu, had no idea that that could cause it.

all OK! :)

tnx Dilvish!

PS. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to add a hover pop-up text on the empire window icons; like there is on the fleet window.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

coole27 wrote:PS. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to add a hover pop-up text on the empire window icons; like there is on the fleet window.
That's a fine idea, though it seemed higher priority to me to actually get a tooltip for the disabled save button. I've made one I'm not quite 100% content with, so I've submitted a PR for it.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

coole27 wrote:I'm running Os X 10.6.8 and FreeOrinon is version 0.4.4
Please note that current test builds and the next release won't be officially supported on 10.6 anymore, only 10.7+. Although I suspect the builds will still run on 10.6, but I don't have the resources to test and maintain 10.6 compatibility anymore.

coole27
Space Krill

#6 Post by coole27 »

Ok, tnx for the heads-up. I'm planning to get myself a new computer soon anyway, so the OS shouldn't be an issue.

I hope that in the next release (when will that be btw?) the "Experimentator Outpost" event will be dealt with, because when I found out about it on the forum (after being annihilated several times by mega-frustrating krakens in-game) I decided to stop playing - It's just no fun for me that way (by "that way" I mean building up military from start like a paranoid schizophrenic).

But I wont blab about it here - I see you have a whole section "Play-Testing Feedback"; so I'll write you guys some extensive feedback (and a few ideas that have came to me) as soon I get some free time for it. This game is just too good for me to simply give up on it, so I'll try to help with some objective feedback.

take care ;)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

coole27 wrote:I hope that in the next release (when will that be btw?)
Actually very soon, we are currently trying to wrap up the last issues, the first release candidate should be ready within this week (possible, but less likely) or the next (more likely, hopefully).
the "Experimentator Outpost" event will be dealt with
I don't know what you mean exactly by "dealt with" - there are some still unresolved issues with it, but they are still in the game. If you want to play a game without them, set the monster frequency to "Low" or "None".

coole27
Space Krill

#8 Post by coole27 »

Urr... are you sure that they are not there if you set the frequency to low? because I have done that and they were there nonetheless (?) and a fracking lot of them :-/

Check out the screenshots - I can send you a save file or whatever you need to verify it. I think (but not 100% sure, I don't keep a log or something..) that I have set the frequency to low, for this exact reason - I was getting tired of these monsters killing me.

If the last *Single Player/Galaxy Set-up/* screen stays saved (that is, the same as the last game set-up) than this is it...

Screenshots:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/162 ... reen01.zip

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

coole27 wrote:...they were there nonetheless...
In what version?

coole27
Space Krill

#10 Post by coole27 »

the same - Os X 10.6.8 and FreeOrinon version 0.4.4

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

coole27 wrote:FreeOrinon version 0.4.4
Oh, in that case you indeed might get them even with monster frequency set to low. IIRC the change that they only appear with monster frequency medium or high has been introduced after 0.4.4.

You're welcome to try the latest pre-release test builds. You can get them on sourceforge or github. Although the file name says OSX 10.7, I suspect the build still works on 10.6. Just give it a try!

coole27
Space Krill

#12 Post by coole27 »

Oh, great then :-) I will give it try and let you know how it runs on 10.6.

Thanks a lot! :-)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by MatGB »

Low doesn't disable Experimentors, None does.

Having a relatively high number of AIs and/or having Starlanes set to High makes them very unlikely to appear due to their spawning restrictions, Low Starlanes and AIs at less than 25 systems per player makes them far more likely.

If they really bother you, and you want to play the game that slowly, then disable them completely in your Default folder, many threads on here explain how, but they don't turn up until way into the endgame, especially on larger maps. We've done some work this cycle to tone them down a bit in terms of the monsters they release, while making their home system harder to take, more is planned at some point.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.