[Solved]MMDevApi error

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

andrewthehammer87
Space Floater

[Solved]MMDevApi error

#1 Post by andrewthehammer87 »

Since, recent releases there's an error message that appears, every time I start the program. Although, I don't experience any errors while playing, it's just weird.
AL lib: <WW> MMDevApiMsgProc: Failed to create IMMDeviceEnumerator instance: 0x80040154
AL lib: <WW> alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "mmdevapi"
freeorion.JPG
freeorion.JPG (132.05 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
I thought you might know about this, but ever since nobody else has reported it, then maybe it's only my OS, cause I'm still using XP.
Last edited by andrewthehammer87 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All my work released for FreeOrion is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: MMDevApi error

#2 Post by Dilvish »

well doing a search on that error message suggests a couple possibilities. This thread indicates it could be caused just by not having the OpenAL libraries installed. DId you recently change your system setup? The last time I see a direct change to our OpenAL handling was about a year ago.

One of the other threads had indicated a very similar message could be generated if shutting the app down a little too fast for OpenAL to respond, but I don't really see anything in our recent-ish log files that really seems pertinent.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: MMDevApi error

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I don't think anything relevant has changed in the audio code recently. Does switching back to an older version stop the issue?

andrewthehammer87
Space Floater

[Solved] Re: MMDevApi error

#4 Post by andrewthehammer87 »

Actually the Official 0.4.4 release doesn't have this error message,although OpenAL is installed.
I've been experiencing it since 2 test builds so far.

This means that it's not big problem.

EDIT(2015-11-30): After updating or meaning downgrading XP, freeing from updates, the error's gone. I presume that not all updates do the best for you. I don't know exactly which one of the xp updates or addons caused it, but now it's gone. Solved.
All my work released for FreeOrion is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0

EricF
Space Dragon

Re: [Solved]MMDevApi error

#5 Post by EricF »

I'm using Win XP(SP3) and FreeOrion_2016-07-26.ba59cf7_Test_Win32_Setup.exe and I get this same error message.
Is it anything to worry about?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If your sound works, probably not.

EricF
Space Dragon

#7 Post by EricF »

Sound and music work normally.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#8 Post by adrian_broher »

Is it anything to worry about?
The message is completely irrelevant. Note the "(WW)" tag, it's an OpenAL internal warning. It only notes that OpenAL tries to use the MMDevAPI (multimedia devices API, the most recent way on windows to programmatical way to access and use sound devices) and can't access it, because the first Windows OS that supports MMDevAPI is Windows Vista. OpenAL will then fall back to directsound IIRC. So the warning won't go away in the future because the library is just configured as we intended (Use MMDevAPI first or fall back to DirectSound).
well doing a search on that error message suggests a couple possibilities. This thread indicates it could be caused just by not having the OpenAL libraries installed.
We distribute our own OpenAL library with the installer, so having a system installation or not is completely irrelevant.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz