Crashes on Startup (0.44 and 0.45RC1) Windows 7

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Crashes on Startup (0.44 and 0.45RC1) Windows 7

#16 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Can you figure out where the segfault occurred? Perhaps try stepping through InitOpenAL(...) in Sound.cpp or putting some debug output lines in there to see how far it gets?
The problem is that this Slackware system I set up (on a VM on a Windows Server in Hyper-V) has no FO dev environment set up, I just managed to set up a standard Slackware system where I've been able to at least tinker with the build scripts of the FO package for Slackware, but nothing more.

I doubt that I'll be able to get a full fledged FO dev environment running on that system, at least not without very considerable effort. An easier alternative would be to get an Ubuntu system on a VM on that same server, which would also lack a sound system. I've already managed to set up a FO dev environment on Ubuntu once, so I guess I'll be able to repeat that. However, I don't know if this issue is reproducible on Ubuntu... and I don't know when I'll have time to get around to do all that.

We should probably create a github issue for this.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

Vezzra wrote:We should probably create a github issue for this.
Done.

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#18 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
AlanM wrote:I plugged in someone's head set and now the game launches.
Can you consistently (repeat it two or three times) make it work or crash at startup just by plugging in or unplugging the headset? My initial assumption is that it is coincidence if you've just tried it once.
Some motherbords turn off audio device if nothing plugged in.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0