Version String Broken?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Version String Broken?

#1 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Besides the crash issue, the screenshot in this issue report shows a very broken version string. I don't know what OS is being used or how it was built, but it might need some attention...

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Version String Broken?

#2 Post by MatGB »

He appears to have made his own build script to replicate Cmake and reading it is beyond my ability.

Slackware is a version of Linux that thinks all this modern user friendly WIMP interface stuff is too easy and tries to pretend it's still the 1970s in as many was as possible. Beyond that I gave up and hung a "here be dragons" sign over the instruction as, frankly, I have better things to do with my time ;-)

Hopefully someone that groks Linux at a far more advanced level than me can have a look.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Version String Broken?

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Well, the slackware build script contains this:

Code: Select all

# Fix cmake target for version file
mv util/Version.cpp.in util/Version.cpp
This hackaround reliably produces what can be seen in the provided screenshot. So no surprise here. What this guy needs to do is to use the source tarball I provide, which already contains a correctly generated version.cpp file, and remove those lines from his build script. I've already posted the respective instructions in the issue he opened.