Lastest unstable/stable version?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Victor
Krill Swarm

Lastest unstable/stable version?

#1 Post by Victor »

Hi, I went to sourceforge.net to download latest playable version... what confuses me is the 0.4.5 RC3 version vs. Test builds.
Since 0.4.5 RC3 modification date is 2015-09-01 and latest test build is from 2015-08-18, I suppose the RC3 is the latest available build?

BTW. I could install both (not sure of consequences) and then compare build numbers (if any) but it's probably better to ask here.
thank you!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Lastest unstable/stable version?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Victor wrote:Since 0.4.5 RC3 modification date is 2015-09-01 and latest test build is from 2015-08-18, I suppose the RC3 is the latest available build?
Yes... what is confusing about that?
BTW. I could install both (not sure of consequences)...
Installing both in separate locations should be fine. Saves might not be compatible, and saved config settings might get erased every time you switch between versions, though.

Victor
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by Victor »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Yes... what is confusing about that?
Thanks, I was missing a confirmation actually :)
Installing both in separate locations should be fine. Saves might not be compatible, and saved config settings might get erased every time you switch between versions, though.
Thank you for quick help Geoff.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Victor wrote:Hi, I went to sourceforge.net to download latest playable version... what confuses me is the 0.4.5 RC3 version vs. Test builds.
Since 0.4.5 RC3 modification date is 2015-09-01 and latest test build is from 2015-08-18, I suppose the RC3 is the latest available build?
To expand a bit on Geoffs answer:

The difference between RC builds and test builds is that the former are based upon the release branch, and the latter are based on the main development (master) branch. So, in theory, the latest test build could contain features the RC build does not, even if the latter has a later date. In practice, I don't produce new test builds based on master until the release is out, to encourage all players to use the latest RC builds for playing/testing, as we need feedback on those most.

Meaning, as Geoff already pointed out, RC3 is currently the most up to date build you can get (safe from building FO yourself). RC3 will very likely be declared the official 0.4.5 release today (thus becoming the official 0.4.5 build). This however also means that I'm going to produce new regular test builds (based on master) today also, so if you want the most recent development builds instead of the latest stable release builds, you've just to wait a little longer. ;)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

Edit: typed below as Vezzra typed above, it's saying the exact same thing!

RC stands for Release Candidate, we're hoping (and in fact are confirming today) that it's the new stable Release version, 0.4.5, when we're testing a release version we don't also build Test versions as a) the guy doing it is already busy and b) we want testers to test the release candidate for final bughunting not messing around too much with new features (which is something I'm guilty of now I compile my own).

So basically RC3 is the new Stable version, there'll be a new Test version when Vezzra has time to make one and that'll have new features in but some of the stuff we've added for it is almost certainly hideously unbalanced and buggy. The date in the filename is always indicative of when the build was made and the most recent will normally be the most recent.

In the event that 0.4.5 gets a bugfix release (which we've not done since I got involved but might happen) then it would be the only case I can think of where the most recently dated wouldn't be the most "up to date" build available.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:The date in the filename is always indicative of when the build was made and the most recent will normally be the most recent.
Slight correction: the date in the build does not indicate when the build was made, but the (UTC) date of the commit in the source code repository on which the build is based.

Victor
Krill Swarm

#7 Post by Victor »

Vezzra wrote:To expand a bit on Geoffs answer:

The difference between RC builds and test builds is that the former are based upon the release branch, and the latter are based on the main development (master) branch. So, in theory, the latest test build could contain features the RC build does not, even if the latter has a later date. In practice, I don't produce new test builds based on master until the release is out, to encourage all players to use the latest RC builds for playing/testing, as we need feedback on those most.
Nice to know this, I was usually playing latest test builds, didn't know that the difference is based on master/release branch.
Thanks for valuable explanation.