No game mouse and massive screenflicker on Win10

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: No game mouse and massive screenflicker on Win10

#16 Post by defaultuser »

I'm willing to check things out of course. I'm not entirely sure what is being requested as far as tab order.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#17 Post by dbenage-cx »

Check to see if render of the mouse cursor is consistent for one page when switching from each of the other listed pages.
Based on MatGB's initial post, it might be every 4th page clicked, only when switching between pages too fast/slow, or some other possibility.

Initial reported cursor states:
Video -> NOT rendered
Audio -> rendered
UI -> rendered
Galaxy Map -> rendered
Colors -> rendered
Autosave -> NOT rendered
Keyboard -> rendered

Unlisted: Objects, Directories, Logs, Other

Hopefully it is consistent for those pages. e.g. The Autosave page never renders a cursor and the Keyboard page always renders one.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#18 Post by defaultuser »

What I see on 0.4.6 9 2016-09-16.49f9123

Start-up screen, not rendered.

If I get to Options, then the following tab behavior:

Video -> rendered
Audio -> rendered
UI -> rendered
Galaxy Map -> rendered
Colors -> rendered
Autosave -> NOT rendered
Keyboard -> rendered
Directories -> NOT rendered
Other -> NOT rendered

From the Main Menu, all selections have no cursor except Credits.

For 0.4.7+ 2017-05-02.ded1942 (latest I have tried)

Everything seems to be the same except:

Video -> NOT rendered

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#19 Post by defaultuser »

Here's something interesting. With 0.4.6, I went ahead and started a game using Single Player and just the default options. As usual, no cursor and flickering icons on the menu bar. When managed to select Research, I had cursor and was able to add stuff. Also same for Production. And, when I went back to the play screen, cursor was still there. I could actually play, although with some flicker.

When the planet or ship windows were open, icons in them also flicker.

Edit: In the planet window, there is cursor. However, in the ship window, there is not. If you do manage to select a ship or fleet, you can right-click and get the context menu and a cursor. That goes away when the context menu is closed.

The Save Menu has no cursor either. It's difficult but not impossible to save/load games.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#20 Post by defaultuser »

I have a 0.4.7+ game started. I will play for a while to see how it goes and whether I spot anything else.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#21 Post by defaultuser »

Sit Rep window has no cursor either. Minor difficulty compared to Fleet. In both cases, it would help if arrow keys allowed scrolling up and down.

When you hit Turn Advance, cursor disappears from main screen. Need to go to Research or whatever to get it back.

Sit Rep has cursor when main display does. As soon as you do something in the Sit Rep, like scroll down, you lose cursor and have to go back to a menu bar choice to get it back.

Pedia window has cursor.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#22 Post by defaultuser »

Fleet window is actually similar to Sit Rep. Cursor disappears when the window is opened. If you then go to Research or whatever, cursor is back until you click anything in the window.

Ship Design is fine.

Objects window acts like Sit Rep and Fleet.

Message and Empires windows are normal.

Graphs is fine (part of Pedia, so not surprising).

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#23 Post by defaultuser »

Closing Sit Rep et al. restores cursor to main display. It appears as though the loss of cursor when a turn starts is related to the Sit Rep window. If that is closed after Turn Advance, cursor reappears.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#24 Post by defaultuser »

Another situation that causes the mouse to disappear is the "multiplicity" pull-downs in the build window. That's pretty annoying because there's no way to restore pointer while keeping them open, and the selections don't highlight when the pointer passes over. You just have to do it by trial and error.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#25 Post by defaultuser »

I'm not sure I made it clear, but all "flickering" is icon-related. That is all over, anywhere icons are present, even in windows where the mouse pointer is not an issue. So not only the top menu bar, but Research, Build, Planetary Systems, Fleet window, etc. Almost anywhere the icons are used. In some places, they basically aren't showing up at all.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#26 Post by dbenage-cx »

Thank you for checking all of that, hopefully it will lead to some progress on this issue.

Only thing I've turned up from searching so far relates to removing win 10 from a provided app manifest (see: Targeting app for Windows), apparently the hd 3000 driver uses some form of GetVersion.
Most of those results were for java based applications and likely is no help for win7, so I have not looked into it much.

I almost had a working vm for win 10 enterprise eval, but became stuck at actually running due to virtualbox driver (windows only provides opengl 1.1).

Shot in the dark to look for improvements if an affected user ends up compiling.
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#27 Post by defaultuser »

I guess one could try to look for similarities between windows that show the problem and differences from the ones that don't. I don't know much about OpenGL, the only GUI stuff I have done is with Windows Forms.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#28 Post by defaultuser »

I pulled the most recent test version to see if there was any improvement. On the contrary, it's much worse. There is now no cursor in the Production Queue and the Producible Items windows. Also the ship design screen. That makes the game unplayable.

The previous test version I tried was from 5/20/2017. Perhaps someone could examine the changes between then and now to track down what introduced the problem to these windows?

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#29 Post by LGM-Doyle »

defaultuser, thanks for reporting this issue. It is difficult to fix as none of the devs can replicate the problem.

Can you provide answers to the following questions? It might help in understanding the problem.

Can you pull from github compile from source?

What operating system and version are you using?

What version of OpenGL is installed?

What processor are you using?

What video card/chip are you using?

Please attach your logs from a game when the flickering is happening?

Are all of you config settings at the defaults? Please post the "config.xml" that you are using?

Describe the flickering? Is it a fast or a slow flicker? Is it just the icons flickering? When you say icons, do you mean clickable buttons? Is the flickering of the icons/buttons synchronized; do they flicker together? Are rectangles of the screen flickering?

Can you run games where the maximum frames per second (FPS) is clamped at 30 and then 15 FPS?

Is the problem the same at the different frame rates?

Check the logs for you video card/chip. Is it being reset?

Thanks for the answers.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#30 Post by defaultuser »

I made a few brief videos, but even so they're 8MB or so. I'm not sure if they can be attached or not.