No game mouse and massive screenflicker on Win10

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: No game mouse and massive screenflicker on Win10

#46 Post by Vezzra »

Wow, issues solving mysteriously themselves... would be good to know which commit "fixed" the issue, so we might get an idea what could have been the underlying problem. Otherwise I'm a bit wary if the issue might reappear as mysteriously as it vanished.

Anyway, Mat (and everybody else who had this problem), can you confirm that the issue is solved for you too? Provided that you still have that Win10 Laptop...

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#47 Post by defaultuser »

defaultuser wrote:Also in ship design, all parts were visible whether "unavailable" was selected or not.

Edit: I started another game, and this problem didn't show up. I will see if there is a saved from the one that did.
There was not a saved game from that. Not sure what happened. I'll play this one for a while and see if there are any oddities.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#48 Post by defaultuser »

Vezzra wrote:Wow, issues solving mysteriously themselves... would be good to know which commit "fixed" the issue, so we might get an idea what could have been the underlying problem.
I could try some other test versions when I get a chance and see. For now I want to keep checking this one.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#49 Post by Ouaz »

defaultuser wrote:I could try some other test versions when I get a chance and see.
Based on one of your previous post from october 13th, it seems you installed briefly the [build 2017-10-08.d68433e] (mine was [build 2017-09-19.c6dd5b5]):
defaultuser wrote:I pulled the most recent test version to see if there was any improvement. On the contrary, it's much worse. There is now no cursor in the Production Queue and the Producible Items windows. Also the ship design screen. That makes the game unplayable.
So, the "miracle" fix has been commited unintentionally in one of the 7 test builds since then:
(build 2017-10-16.e3039ca)
(build 2017-10-23.0ac4a07)
(build 2017-10-30.aa08dfe)
(build 2017-11-05.3ad5bff)
(build 2017-11-13.b6940d0)
(build 2017-11-20.e6848d8)
(build 2017-11-26.cbf1e48)

or even possibly in the latest (build 2017-12-04.25bd9a9).
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#50 Post by LGM-Doyle »

If someone has the time to do a git bisection, then that would nail down which commit solved the problem.

If someone only has the time to try a single commit, then I would suggest Geoff's from Oct 18 2017, Tweaked push and pop rendering state calls..

Neither accidental, nor unintentional, but very deliberate.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#51 Post by Oberlus »

Kudos!

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#52 Post by defaultuser »

Ouaz wrote:Based on one of your previous post from october 13th, it seems you installed briefly the [build 2017-10-08.d68433e] (mine was [build 2017-09-19.c6dd5b5])
Right. I didn't spend much time with that as it wasn't possible to build anything. Kind of a hindrance.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#53 Post by defaultuser »

LGM-Doyle wrote:If someone has the time to do a git bisection, then that would nail down which commit solved the problem.

If someone only has the time to try a single commit, then I would suggest Geoff's from Oct 18 2017, Tweaked push and pop rendering state calls..
So that would be in the 11/20 build?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#54 Post by MatGB »

Vezzra wrote: Anyway, Mat (and everybody else who had this problem), can you confirm that the issue is solved for you too? Provided that you still have that Win10 Laptop...
I can't, it was only a problem on my older laptops, this one's got a separate graphics card and it was never an issue on any build.

The big problem for testing purposes is it tended to appear on lower spec laptops with integrated graphics, and lower spec laptops can't compile very easily.

But if it's solved, that's marvellous, I do wish I'd been able to do more with the problem before that machine died and I got this one but, y'know, we need to keep an eye out for future problems, if Geoff's commit did fix it that will help iron out reappearances on edge case boxes.

Um, if it is that commit, it occurs we might want to consider a bugfix release, is it worth someone cherry picking that commit into the release branch and posting an exe to see if it is?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.