Save file corruption

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Save file corruption

#1 Post by MatGB »

Last week or so I've had a few occasions when I've gone to load a game that it's not displaying in the load dialogue. There is a file in the hidden folder, but it's much smaller than it should be and given I use binary serialisation on Linux by default it's hard to error check further.

Obviously I can always load an autosave but I tend to save my games at the end of a turn so lose work, etc. Plus it's not ideal and players will be confused. I know there's been work last few weeks on how savegames work so I assume it's linked but it might possibly be an older problem I've not noticed before.

Anyone else had problems and/or can see a solution?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Save file corruption

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If you mixed versions around the time of the transition then it's quite likely some older saves wouldn't load in newer versions.

If you have a save created with and that won't load in the latest version, then try opening the load dialog and then look at freeorion.log which should have some crypic error message about it failing to deserialize...

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Save file corruption

#3 Post by MatGB »

It turned out I hadn't noticed you'd defaulted serialisation to off and having changed that setting it now appears to be working, but I will check the log as there are about 4 different corrupt files now. I knew you were doing things there as we'd discussed it but hadn't quite noticed exactly what.

One of the 'lost' games was setup and played entirely since the change though.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.