Limited Area on Fullscreen

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Salaramon
Space Krill

Limited Area on Fullscreen

#1 Post by Salaramon »

I am using FreeOrion v0.4.5 stable release on Windows 7. I am playing on a 1080p TV screen at 60hz, but I think that is unrelated.

When I have Freeorion windowed and maximized it uses the resolution 1278x693 (or 1280x698 depending how it snaps when maximized?), even though my computer is running 1920x1080 natively. I think I read somewhere that it is just how it works for now. But I couldn't find anything about when for my fullscreen problem.
Although it gives me my desired resolution when I try fullscreen, I can only move my cursor within a area of the screen and I can only take screenshot (see attachment) of that part too. But I can see everything.
The area I can reach is the same on all tested resolutions.

One time while playing the game suddenly changed to my native resolution, and after a while, maybe 10 minutes it changed back. That is also when I realized that it wasn't running on a desired resolution. I don't expect to see this happening again.
Attachments
ggg.jpg
ggg.jpg (261.36 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Last edited by Salaramon on Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Limited Area on Fullscreen

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Why do you say it "uses the resolution 1278x693"? If you're referring to the windowed video mode width and height, those should not have anything to do with how it's rendered in full fullscreen; they're the size of the window in windowed mode.

If something looks weird, try changing the full screen video mode, hitting apply, then changing it back?

If it's randomly changing on its own, then the graphics card / operating system is doing something weird in telling it that the screen resolution changed, I suspect...

Salaramon
Space Krill

#3 Post by Salaramon »

Oh, Somehow a part of my message got cut out, my bad. I will edit it back in.

Edit: Nevermind, I must have messed up in my head while writing being a bit unclear.

From the point "Although it gives me my desired resolution,..." is where I am talking about the full screen. And I know the difference between the fullscreen resolution and the custom windowed resolution. I brought it up just to mention that the windowed reslolution does not work correctly either.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What does "it uses the resolution 1278x693" mean exactly?

Salaramon
Space Krill

#5 Post by Salaramon »

It means when I have maximized FreeOrion in windowed mode the options tells me that 1278x693 is the windowed resolution. Probably trying to reach 1280x720, but the window itself takes some space of course.
The thing is that my screen and computer is running 1080x1920, meaning that is what resolution it shoud be trying to reach when I maximize the window.
That is the windowed problem I have, the rest is about the fullscreen problem. Sorry for being unclear.

Edit: Edited main post to be a bit more clear.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#6 Post by Dilvish »

Salaramon wrote: I am playing on a 1080p TV screen at 60hz, but I think that is unrelated.
This is actually what catches my eye the most.
It means when I have maximized FreeOrion in windowed mode the options tells me that 1278x693 is the windowed resolution. Probably trying to reach 1280x720, but the window itself takes some space of course.
I think that's an effect of where the mouse grabbed the corner you dragged, the window border is shown within the specified pixels, not in addition to them. If you manually edit the option to specify 1280x720 it should work fine.

Back on the TV thing, it sounds to me like your behavior is what would be expected if your TV were not 1080p, but were in fact 1080i / 720p
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Salaramon
Space Krill

#7 Post by Salaramon »

I would expect so too, but my TV is in fact 1080p.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#8 Post by Dilvish »

Salaramon wrote:I would expect so too, but my TV is in fact 1080p.
And just what model is it?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0