Can't save/load games (Path not found)

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

andrewthehammer87
Space Floater

Can't save/load games (Path not found)

#1 Post by andrewthehammer87 »

I am using the latest test build of FO and I have tried some possibilities to solve the problem, but none were successful.

First, I've installed FO on C:, my main partition, thinking the second partition installation is causing the problem. Nothing.

Secong, I am posting a picture, where you can see the exact error message. I tried changing the save game path from within the game Options -> Directory, but there I've got a second error, stating "Invalid UTF-8". Now, coming from these clues, is it possible, that the cause of the problem is my Windows username, with "á" character? Is there another way, to obture this UTF problem?

A.
Attachments
fo_test_file_path_error.JPG
fo_test_file_path_error.JPG (87.46 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
All my work released for FreeOrion is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Can't save/load games (Path not found)

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Can you attach freeorion.log and freeoriond.log from immediately after producing the UTF-8 error?

andrewthehammer87
Space Floater

#3 Post by andrewthehammer87 »

Here you are.
freeorion.log
(3.09 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
freeoriond.log
(58.18 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Here it is,when I'm trying to change the path from within the game. I also tried config.xml. And unchecking read-only file attributes. Nothing.
utf8.JPG
utf8.JPG (85.68 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
All my work released for FreeOrion is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Cpeosphoros »

I have the same problem - Windows user path with special characters. I've bypassed it by entering Options>Directories and changing the save path to C:\freeorionsaves. (You have to create that folder beforehand).

Still can't access saved ship designs, though, as it's also in the user path and there's no option to change it.
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

andrewthehammer87 wrote:...is it possible, that the cause of the problem is my Windows username, with "á" character?
Most likely yes. The file save/load dialog appears to be not correctly converting path strings between UTF-8 and UTF-16 before/after attempting to convert to boost::filesystem::path objects.