German Translation

Discuss, plan, and make Translations for FreeOrion
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: German Translation

#76 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Foocaux wrote:Well, apart from monster(en), which translates to Monster(de), obviously! :lol:
Whereas Monster(en)(de) would translate to monster(s)(en)?

Foocaux
Space Squid

#77 Post by Foocaux »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Whereas Monster(en)(de) would translate to monster(s)(en)?
Possibly! :D
But why would you want to translate an english name into english? And which language is (s) the abbreviation for? :D

PS: I think in (es) it's monstruo, but don't quote me!
The small print: Any code contribution I make to FreeOrion is made under GPL v2.0, any graphic contribution is under CC-by-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#78 Post by Geoff the Medio »

"Monster(s)" (in english) is used to indicate "Monster or Monsters".

Foocaux
Space Squid

#79 Post by Foocaux »

So by extension Monster(en) in german would mean monster or monsters? This is ever so confusing, I never heard the word Monsteren, me! ;)

Oh well, I'll take it as further proof how treacherous translations can be!
The small print: Any code contribution I make to FreeOrion is made under GPL v2.0, any graphic contribution is under CC-by-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#80 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Foocaux wrote:So by extension Monster(en) in german would monster or monsters?
It would be consistent with other pluralization of German words that I have observed.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#81 Post by adrian_broher »

There is no such thing as 'Monsteren' in German. 'Monster' can be singular or plural depending on context for the nominative case.
It would be consistent with other pluralization of German words that I have observed.
Monster is an exception maybe because it's origin does stem from the latin monstrum and not from a germanic word.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#82 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Hi, I noticed that capital names was changed in en.txt and should be updated in de.txt
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#83 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Patch with removing key that not present in en.txt

- remove outdatad keys
- make commented lines same as in en.txt
- make number of line separators same as in en.txt

PS. will conflict with my previous patch
Attachments

If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#84 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Cjkjvfnby wrote:Patch with removing key that not present in en.txt
Committed.

shivu

#85 Post by shivu »

Patch to update the stringtables de.txt to level en.txt svn7608, and same minor corrections.

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#86 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

shivu wrote:Patch to update the stringtables de.txt to level en.txt svn7608, and same minor corrections.
de.txt.patch
You have tripple quote inside value.

Code: Select all

GROWTH_FOCUS_TEXT
'''The Growth Focus represents exporting rare materials and substances that aid the population growth of a certain species. Is only available in certain situations: on some homeworlds, and on planets with growth specials.  A planet focused on Growth increases the max Population only of other planets connected to it by [[encyclopedia SUPPLY_TITLE]] lines.  A Homeworld focused on Growth only helps other planets of the same species.  Growth Special planets focused on growth, only help a single classification of species, for instance some only help Organic Species.'''

A planet focused on Growth increases the max Population only of other planets connected to it by [[encyclopedia SUPPLY_TITLE]] lines.

A Homeworld focused on Growth only helps other planets of the same species.

Growth Special planets focused on growth, only help a single classification of species. Some specials function for organic species only, some for lithic species only, and some for robotic species only.'''

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#87 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Fix missed inner links for de.txt

Should I replace planet sizes in en.txt? And remove tripple quote in that case?

Code: Select all

- '''Increases the max population on all planets by planet size; Tiny: +1, Small: +2, Medium: +3, Large: +4, Huge: +5.'''
+ '''Increases the max population on all planets by planet size; [[SZ_TINY]]: +1, [[SZ_SMALL]]: +2, [[SZ_MEDIUM]]: +3,  [[SZ_LARGE]]: +4,  [[SZ_HUGE]]: +5.
Attachments

shivu

#88 Post by shivu »

same patch as on 26 Aug but
- triple quote inside value has been removed
- add The Monster! (svn7629)

I hope it works now.

shivu

#89 Post by shivu »

de2.txt.patch
If someone would be so kind to commit to trunk and (merge to release branch?).

Thanks!

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#90 Post by Vezzra »

shivu wrote:If someone would be so kind to commit to trunk and (merge to release branch?).
I'm struggling to keep up with everything that needs to be taken care of for the release, so I'm concentrating only on things relevant for the release ATM.

If I understand correctly, your patch for the German stringtable is based on the English stringtable in trunk. As en.txt in trunk is different from en.txt in the release branch, you'd need to provide a version of de.txt that is in sync with the version of en.txt in the release branch, like Ouaz did for the French stringtable.

Problem is, there are only hours left until the deadline for RC4. I guess that's a bit tight for you to get a proper patch done. And I'm very hesitant to defer RC4 because I'm going to have much less spare time for FO very soon, so I'm trying to get 0.4.4 done before I'm running out of time ;)

Your patch will go into trunk once I (or someone else) will get around to it, but it's a bit close to the (hopefully) final RC build to get it into the release. If however more issues turn up with RC4 that require RC5, and you manage to get a patch for the release branch in in the meantime, your update for de.txt will go into the release of course.