fr_stringtable

Discuss, plan, and make Translations for FreeOrion
alchemy
Krill Swarm

Re: fr_stringtable

#16 Post by alchemy »

shivu wrote:I am new hier
hi and welcome shivu
shivu wrote:I am trying to translate the file eng_stringtable.txt.
thanks for the job but which version of eng_stringtable.txt you use ?
do you read this topic and the wiki subject :
http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Fre_stringtable.txt

some people began translation, so we must organize us if we want to end it.

in every new release of freeorion, there are new entries in the eng_stringtable, and obsolete entries in fre_stringtable, so the work of translation is tedious.

do you match your version with my version or you began translation from scratch ?

regards.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#17 Post by eleazar »

I don't know if any developers know French, but the current French translation we have is so very out of date, with so many missing entries, that even a sloppy translation will probably improve things.

Rogor
Space Floater

#18 Post by Rogor »

By the way, is there any script to update all string table to have the same entries than the english ?

If not, how does the code deal with a missing string in a stringtable ? Just take an empty string or is it using the english as a default ?

alchemy
Krill Swarm

#19 Post by alchemy »

Rogor wrote:By the way, is there any script to update all string table to have the same entries than the english ?
Do you try mine ? joined previously in this topic
Rogor wrote:If not, how does the code deal with a missing string in a stringtable ? Just take an empty string or is it using the english as a default ?
by trying myself, i saw than if the game didn't have entrie in the french stringtable, it used the english entrie by default.

regards.

Rogor
Space Floater

#20 Post by Rogor »

alchemy wrote:
Rogor wrote:By the way, is there any script to update all string table to have the same entries than the english ?
Do you try mine ? joined previously in this topic
No I have read quickly through the discussion, and I missed that. I'll have a look.
alchemy wrote:
Rogor wrote:If not, how does the code deal with a missing string in a stringtable ? Just take an empty string or is it using the english as a default ?
by trying myself, i saw than if the game didn't have entrie in the french stringtable, it used the english entrie by default.
Makes sense to me.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#21 Post by Geoff the Medio »

alchemy wrote:
...if the game didn't have entrie in the french stringtable, it used the english entrie by default.
Yes; if a string is missing in the selected stringtable, then the game will look for it in the english stringtable. If it's missing in both, then it's replaced with ERROR_ followed by the stringtable lookup key.

shivu

#22 Post by shivu »

Hi Alchemy,

I downloaded FreeOrion-5302-Test-Win32-Setup.exe and use the eng/fr_stringtable found there.
I agree with you, use the reel original file is primordial. Where is she?

My english knowledge is wery poor, so at the begin, I just use the stringtable file as
a possibility to make same notices. It was easer to me to make a notice instead of... what the hell
is this word meaning, i already find it in the dictionary but i dont remember...
So pls excuse me if my posting has a lots of mistakes.

Now same words about what i already do until now.
I use a file comparision programm so I start bei introducing the missing strings.
I try to translate "by order of apearence".
And last but not least the final point of my work is not fr_stringtable.txt but
ger_stringtable.txt. J'ai fait une sorte d'égalisation des thermes. sry 4 not french
speaking people.

Anyway, i had a look at the history and content of all *_stringtable.txt. It is time to do somethinks.
fr_stringtable.txt: the newest file is 6 Month old
ger_ : over one year. Phil Van Vaan wo bist du?
it_ : over tree years. Italiani forza, in avanti!
and so on
but the winner is..
russia : mor or less on month. bolchoi caracho Cjckem

so for the begin.

alchemy
Krill Swarm

#23 Post by alchemy »

shivu wrote:I downloaded FreeOrion-5302-Test-Win32-Setup.exe and use the eng/fr_stringtable found there..
is it the last release ?
shivu wrote: Where is she? ..
you need to use SVN (it's a famous SCM) and reposit the last release...
shivu wrote: i had a look at the history and content of all *_stringtable.txt. ..
it's free and developpers don't have time to traduce, it's very long, so it's a task for us...

if you read this topic , you will find my last fr_stringtable, but it's a 60% translation of the eng_stringtable V4054...

and you will find something to compare, there is around 2500 entries in the eng_stringtable...

ps : if you want we can speak french in PM (private message)
regards

shivu

#24 Post by shivu »

I worked a little bit on the French translation and enclosed it for download.
This is far from being finished and there are still errors (any kind of mistakes) but I do my best.

This is what I do:
- I use eng_stringtable svn5437 as reference.
- Add the missing strings and remove the obsoletes (I know it's not necessary but it helpful when comparing files).
- Add new translations.

Problems found:
- The already in use French translation is corrupt. All Planet Types, Size, Environments values are
in French but when playing (SVN5442), still the English Words appear. The Host win by Default!
So I restart with a new file (eng_stringtable, svn5437) which is not corrupt. Problem solved!
- French is a very 'descriptive' language and it needs generally more space. See for example the
'Galaxie Setup' Menu or 'Design'. In this one, English say 'Design Name' (11 char.), French
'Nom de la conception' (20 Char), and German 'Entwurfsname' (12 char) .
Consider an extreme case: 'Up'. In German 'Auf' (length is ok) but French 'Monter' or 'En haut',
that's oversize!!!.
Attachments
fr_stringtable.zip
(78.48 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#25 Post by Geoff the Medio »

shivu wrote:Consider an extreme case: 'Up'. In German 'Auf' (length is ok) but French 'Monter' or 'En haut',
that's oversize!!!.
The solution is probably replacing buttons with simple labels like "Up" with buttons that have graphics on them and do not require translation.

shivu

#26 Post by shivu »

Hi everybody

Here is my last fr_stringtable.txt release. She's according to eng_ svn5472.
As we say in french. Affaire à suivre.

soon
Attachments
fr_stringtable.zip
(87.25 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#27 Post by eleazar »

Thanks,
Committed revision 5485.

zareik
Space Krill

#28 Post by zareik »

Hello everyone,

I'm totally new here, but I would like to help with the french translation.
So here is my first contribution, very very simple, just for the first option panel.

If there is anything wrong, please tell how to fix it !
Attachments
fr_stringtable.zip
(86.58 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

shivu

#29 Post by shivu »

zareik wrote: I'm totally new here, but I would like to help with the french translation.
Welcome zareik

I am also translating in french, but we need to coordinate our works. here is the actual state of my fr_stringtable.txt, she is uptodated to the English svn5490. Pls contact me by PM (in French).
Attachments
fr_stringtable.zip
(87.45 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#30 Post by Vezzra »

Well, looks like we don't have a shortage of french translators ATM :D