FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: trans to spanish
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:47 pm 
Cjkjvfnby wrote:
I have reason to delete them. English text updated sometimes. If you already translate it to you language, you need to update it.
If you have old english text in you file, you will translate it not same as in en.txt

I am not as stupid to translate old strings. I check if they are still up to date before I translate.
Strings also change after I translate them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:49 pm 
AI Lead, Programmer

I've committed the reduced version of the patch that Cjkjvfnby had posted because it is more in the condition of what we want the stringtables to actually be, and Shivu I don't think it should actually cause you much trouble, if any, to continue working with the version of the stringtable you're working on. I noticed the patch did still have a couple cases where the entry was a mix of Spanish and English, but since the English portion seemed significantly substantive and I wasn't up for taking the time to work through a translation myself, I left it there, trying to decide on the lesser of two (minor) evils.

shivu wrote:
I am not as stupid to translate old strings. I check if they are still up to date before I translate.
Strings also change after I translate them.
Yes, but think about all the people playing the game in the meantime. The strings that haven't been translated will be automatically kept up to date so long as they don't get copied directly into the Spanish stringtable. Once those untranslated entries have been copied into the repository Spanish stringtable then that automatic synchronization with the English stringtable stops. The fact that translated entries don't get automatically updated is a necessary cost of having the translation available, but blocking the automatic synchronization of untranslated entries is an unnecessary cost.

Cjkjvfnby wrote:
I have script that allow you to make full file for translation and shrink it to translated only before making patch.
Shivu, I think that Cjkjvfnby's scripts could probably work very well with your process and actually help your work. I think they are fairly easy to use. Cjkjvfnby, I think you may have linked to them before, but could you go ahead and actually attach them here for Shivu's convenience? (You will need to put them in a zip file.) Also, please repeat your explanation on how to use them, perhaps augmenting some to help clarify things for someone who may not have used python scripts before. If you could also clarify how it would specifically fit with what Shivu has described of his process, that would be helpful as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:53 pm 
AI Contributor

shivu wrote:

I write my scripts to make life of translators more simple. Then all untranslated string will be removed, you will not need to check that they are up to date. You will just need to make full file and work with it.

Please join this thread viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9275

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:16 pm 
Dilvish wrote:
I noticed the patch did still have a couple cases where the entry was a mix of Spanish and English, but since the English portion seemed significantly substantive and I wasn't up for taking the time to work through a translation myself, I left it there, trying to decide on the lesser of two (minor) evils.
This is due to the fact that these entries received additional sentence. I must say that sometimes I have the feeling I’m more “running” behind modification in the en.txt then translating. How could I (alone) win against so many prolific programmers? :lol:

Dilvish wrote:
The strings that haven't been translated will be automatically kept up to date so long as they don't get copied directly into the Spanish stringtable. Once those untranslated entries have been copied into the repository Spanish stringtable then that automatic synchronization with the English stringtable stops. The fact that translated entries don't get automatically updated is a necessary cost of having the translation available, but blocking the automatic synchronization of untranslated entries is an unnecessary cost.
Where this mechanism happens? (part of programm)

Dilvish wrote:
Shivu, I think that Cjkjvfnby's scripts could probably work very well with your process and actually help your work. I think they are fairly easy to use. Cjkjvfnby, I think you may have linked to them before, but could you go ahead and actually attach them here for Shivu's convenience? (You will need to put them in a zip file.) Also, please repeat your explanation on how to use them, perhaps augmenting some to help clarify things for someone who may not have used python scripts before. If you could also clarify how it would specifically fit with what Shivu has described of his process, that would be helpful as well.
Sorry to say it this way.
1. I already make some bad experience with “helping script” in the past. I don’t wish to start a new experience.
2. I am perfectly able to make script if I need one (I already do same).
3. I find the Cjkjvfnby to complicate, it’s not easier it’s more complicate.
4. My present working way is a bit more complicate as what you can imagine.
It’s more than just [English Word/phrase] --> [foreign language Word/phrase]

It is not right place here (Spanish not French) but I sincerely regret what I do with Ouaz. Next time when I realize someone is on the wrong way I will no more intervene as I do it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:33 pm 
Release Manager, Design

shivu wrote:
Where this mechanism happens? (part of programm)
It happens when a stringtable key is substituted with the corresponding entry from the stringtable. First, the program looks up the key in the stringtable for the choosen language. If it doesn't find a corresponding entry there (and the choosen language isn't already English), it falls back on the English stringtable and tries to look up the key there. This way, if a stringtable for a language other than English isn't up to date, instead of producing errors for the all the entries that haven't been translated yet, it will fall back on the English strings.

This also makes sure that for missing entries up to date English strings are used. That purpose of course is defeated once you copy untranslated English strings to the other stringtables. While it makes sense for the translator to work on a stringtable that has the English entries copied into it, it should not be committed in that form. For commit, untranslated English entries should be stripped out (which is what Cjkjvfnby script does, if I understand correctly).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:42 pm 
I mean the name of the program part or header or whatever it is. Something like name.nsi; name.cpp; name.h.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:04 pm 
AI Lead, Programmer

shivu wrote:
I mean the name of the program part or header or whatever it is. Something like name.nsi; name.cpp; name.h.
it's in "util/i18n.cpp" and the particular function is
Code:
const std::string& UserString(const std::string& str) {
    const StringTable_& string_table = GetStringTable();
    if (string_table.StringExists(str))
        return GetStringTable().String(str);
    else
        return GetDefaultStringTable().String(str);
}

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:08 pm 
tks a lot :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:58 pm 
AI Contributor

shivu wrote:
Dilvish wrote:
I noticed the patch did still have a couple cases where the entry was a mix of Spanish and English, but since the English portion seemed significantly substantive and I wasn't up for taking the time to work through a translation myself, I left it there, trying to decide on the lesser of two (minor) evils.
This is due to the fact that these entries received additional sentence. I must say that sometimes I have the feeling I’m more “running” behind modification in the en.txt then translating. How could I (alone) win against so many prolific programmers? :lol:
Join updating en.txt it still has many weak places. I am thinking about making some changelog info for translators, have you any idea how you want to see it?

Quote:
Sorry to say it this way.
1. I already make some bad experience with “helping script” in the past. I don’t wish to start a new experience.

You can not use scripts. Just don't add english texts to patches.

Quote:
2. I am perfectly able to make script if I need one (I already do same).

Do you have experience with python and git?

Quote:
3. I find the Cjkjvfnby to complicate, it’s not easier it’s more complicate.

Then what? Can you describe you way?

Quote:
4. My present working way is a bit more complicate as what you can imagine.
It’s more than just [English Word/phrase] --> [foreign language Word/phrase]

Details?

Quote:
It is not right place here (Spanish not French) but I sincerely regret what I do with Ouaz. Next time when I realize someone is on the wrong way I will no more intervene as I do it.
I expect moderators will cut this part to separate thread. At least you have other person for you language translation and I am alone. This translation system is not good for my language (all systems that I have used is not good) Translation require some compromises between normal language and fit game frame.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:34 am 
@Cjkjvfnby: I do not wish any further discussion about this subject. From now I will no more answer your questions.