Ship damage rating?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ExoMind
Space Krill

Ship damage rating?

#1 Post by ExoMind »

Are these windows suppose to agree? On the left it looks like damage for the ship is 7 but on the right it looks like 4 for Etty.
[v0.4.7] - 2017-04-24
Attachments
Shows ship and pedia windows
Shows ship and pedia windows
WhyDamageRating.JPG (85.4 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Ship damage rating?

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Hmmm, well that's an enemy ship, correct? The Pedia always shows you design info based on your own technology levels, to assist with your own planning if you were considering building the ship; it appears that your enemy here has advanced their Mass Driver technology higher than yours. I suppose it would be a good idea for the ShipDesign Pedia page to specifically indicate that it is providing the info based on your own empire's technology. Feel free to post an issue/feature-request for this on our GitHub Issues page.

I can see that in this particular kind of case it could be appealing to have the enemy's technology info being used to populate the design info, our ShipDesign pages are not currently set up to readily handle that, and there is not actually very much real value for that, I think. It seems to me that the clarification is instead the way to go.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

ExoMind
Space Krill

#3 Post by ExoMind »

Thanks, Dilvish.

Yes it is an enemy ship. I agree that it would be good for the Pedia to state that the values listed are based on the current level of tech of one's own empire's. If I had opened that hull or ship from the design window I would have expected it to show results based on my empire. Because I opened the Pedia from the fleet window I thought it was giving me the enemy's specks. The way it is, it is a good way to find out if an enemy has upgraded weapons, however clarity to avoid confusion may be good.

ExoMind
Space Krill

#4 Post by ExoMind »

I opened a [Feature] entry on GitHub.

Another interesting thing about the Pedia page. I don't have an Etty world or ship, but Pedia chose to show only Generic and Etty valuesl. That added to the expectation that the values were for the other empire, even though they were at my tech level.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Right, if you have ship selected (not just a fleet, but an individual ship) and/or any planet selected in the ProductionWindow, then it will include the species from those in the ones it uses for the description.

Also, again if you have an individual ship selected, then it will use the weapons and shields from that for the enemy values used when calculating the combat rating (otherwise it just uses some projected values), so that you can see how various designs would stack up against a particular enemy.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0