Phinnert cannot colonize

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
RaiderXV
Space Krill

Phinnert cannot colonize

#1 Post by RaiderXV »

I've captured them and the Pedia says that they can colonize, but they can't even in their own system. I know they can't build ships, but not even colony pods? If this experience is correct than the Pedia needs to be updated.
Ver. 0.4.5 build 2015-09-01.f203162

Hope you can help me with this. Was looking for a good swam colony in a system that had 3 swamp planets and one with the Phinnert in it. Look forward to hearing from you.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Phinnert cannot colonize

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

You don't need to produce a ship to colonize. Instead, you can outpost a planet, then produce the colony building for the appropriate species.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

I have been tempted a few times to suggest that we need to rethink who can build outpost/colony bases. At the moment to build such things you need to be both a shipbuilding race and a colonising race, meaning neither Phinnert or, for example, Acirema, can build them which, given the newer rules does seem to be unnecessarily restrictive.

I don't know whether to suggest they should be buildable by shipbuilders or, given they don't require a shipyard, whether we should let colonisers build them, but I do think the current system is a little counterintuitive.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

Yes, it's a bit annoying, but one of the features of the game. You'll need to bring an outpost ship from another system to be able to colonize, even within the same system. Colony bases are still ships, just ones without interstellar capability.

Piwoslaw
Space Floater

#5 Post by Piwoslaw »

While some may cannot even get off their homeworld, I can imagine a species that may be able to colonize only within their system, but not able to leave it.

UrshMost
Space Kraken

#6 Post by UrshMost »

MatGB wrote: but I do think the current system is a little counterintuitive.
I look at it as one of the little puzzles in the game to solve.
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#7 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:I have been tempted a few times to suggest that we need to rethink who can build outpost/colony bases. At the moment to build such things you need to be both a shipbuilding race and a colonising race, meaning neither Phinnert or, for example, Acirema, can build them which, given the newer rules does seem to be unnecessarily restrictive. I don't know whether to suggest they should be buildable by shipbuilders or, given they don't require a shipyard, whether we should let colonisers build them....
The latter idea sounds appealing to me, allowing non-shipbuilding colonizers to build outpost bases and colony bases. We could add a "build_by_any" ship hull characteristic, which would only be used in the definition for the colony base hull. So, a modest bit of work in the ship hull parser, and a modest bit of work in ShipDesign.cpp, and I think that would be it. That would also let any species build ComSats, but I don't see a problem with that.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0