Bugged or a systematic AI 'cheat'? - core techs missing.

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Heracliton
Space Floater

Re: Bugged or a systematic AI 'cheat'? - core techs missing

#16 Post by Heracliton »

Hi

Apologies for the delay in responding; I have been really rather ill.

Thank you all for the replies. I won't go into all of them, merely to say that as far as my system is concerned no recent build of FO functions correctly.

For example re the mass driver issue in the dev build: MatGb says there is clearly "a mass driver showing" (my emphasis). That is precisely the problem; my screen shots show that I had researched MD 4 but only MD 1 shows in the available items list, and crucially MDs 2-4 do not appear in the unavailable items list either. If you think they do, one of us is hallucinating :shock:

If you can see MDs 2 - 4 anywhere perhaps you would be kind enough to edit my screenshots to show them?

I researched further up the tree but didn't have time to post them; the same thing happens with laser 2 - 4. No traces anywhere. I have this evening briefly tried with the FreeOrion_2016-05-10.2a6b7b4_Test_Win32_Setup build - same problem.

I had intended to try both Windows and Linux builds on my laptop (Bodhi Linux - built on Ubuntu LTS - as well as Win 7 Pro 64) but the mother board died when I was charging it in hospital. (Power surge? It's a world-renowned teaching hospital and half the routine equipment is worn out or malfunctioning). I'll put Bodhi on my desktop - I've given up on Fedora after successive build kept f'ing up my mobile BB & WiFi both.

That said, I am in general hugely impressed by the latest build; the new bombing weapons, EMP kit, etc. made me drool with unrequitable lust to get my digital fingers on them. I'll post some more observations as well as some suggestions in a few days time when I've got myself a bit more organised.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#17 Post by MatGB »

Mass Driver 1 is not showing. Mass Driver 1 no longer exists.

To quote myself
There's a Mass Driver clearly showing in that design shot.

In recent Test builds, one of the biggest changes has been that refinements no longer create new parts, but instead upgrade existing parts, if you look at your ships that exist in game you'll see they've gone up in strength.
You're looking for something that does not exist anymore, it's another one of those impressive improvements (really, it's much better, you need far fewer designs and ships built when you've got laser1 researched get the full bonus of laser4 even if you research it many turns later.

Especially useful if you get, for example, a Dragon Tooth, it gets upgraded along with the rest of your Death Rays.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#18 Post by Kassiopeija »

I think the confusing is due to the Pedia-Entry & the Tooltip not updating to the latest weapon-tech - eg. I've already researched Laser4 which is attackstrength 11 but both times it shows my module as Laser which is strength 5. IMO doesn't matter much because the final shipbuild will show the correct attackstrength, but this is likely to be going a source of confusing...