FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:46 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Bug? Xenophobic frenzy
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:39 pm 
Offline
Space Floater

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:39 am
Posts: 37
Hi,

i just did a game with trith (latest test version) and noticed that the xennophobic fenzy can account for POSITIVE effects on the max population (see srceenshot). The source for that was an eaxaw-colony 4 lanes away.
But when conquering said xenophobic worm, they did NOT suffer the frenzy despite enemy humans being 2 lanes away. Seems like conquered xenophobes dont suffer from xenophobia any more. And seems like my fellow trith are profiting from it in some cases (not all).


Attachments:
trith2.png
trith2.png [ 790.31 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]
trith.png
trith.png [ 1007.09 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:52 pm 
Offline
Release Manager, Design
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 4594
Location: Sol III
Toastmartin wrote:
i just did a game with trith (latest test version) and noticed that the xennophobic fenzy can account for POSITIVE effects on the max population (see srceenshot). The source for that was an eaxaw-colony 4 lanes away.
But when conquering said xenophobic worm, they did NOT suffer the frenzy despite enemy humans being 2 lanes away. Seems like conquered xenophobes dont suffer from xenophobia any more. And seems like my fellow trith are profiting from it in some cases (not all).
Nothing of that seems right... Xenophobic Frenzy should not yield positive effects, and it should not matter for the xenophobic effects if a planet with xenophobes has been conquered. Can you create a github issue?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:35 pm 
Offline
Creative Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 pm
Posts: 3310
Yeah, I'm playing Trith at the moment and have noticed similar, it seems to only be related to if the target population is otherwise negative, there's some sort of double negative effect happening, I was trying to see if I could fix it but I'm not getting anywhere.

If you do open an issue, can you add in that the Self Sustaining bonus is opening up worlds to habitability when it shouldn't as well? That's something I introduced when fixing a different issue with self sustaining and forgot to go back to it.

_________________
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:06 am 
Offline
Release Manager, Design
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 4594
Location: Sol III
MatGB wrote:
If you do open an issue, can you add in that the Self Sustaining bonus is opening up worlds to habitability when it shouldn't as well?
Wouldn't it be better to create a separate issue for that?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:08 am 
Offline
Space Floater

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:39 am
Posts: 37
Sorry, dont know anything about github. Would probably produce more work by doing wrong/asking more questions than if somebody else did it.
While we're at it: It would be cool, if the planet affected by xenphobic frenzy and harassment would state the name of the other planet that is causing it. So that I know where to send my ships (or develop scanners) to "solve" the problem ..
Is it intentional that trith can inhabit any planet with subterranian- and orbital habitation (without Cyborgs)?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:18 pm 
Offline
Creative Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 pm
Posts: 3310
Toastmartin wrote:
Sorry, dont know anything about github. Would probably produce more work by doing wrong/asking more questions than if somebody else did it.

Fair enough, my cold has me so bunged up I'm avoiding it for similar reasons.
Quote:
While we're at it: It would be cool, if the planet affected by xenphobic frenzy and harassment would state the name of the other planet that is causing it. So that I know where to send my ships (or develop scanners) to "solve" the problem ..

Yes, it would, problem is that currently the formula is worked as a count of all affecting planets, I'm actually thinking of changing that a bit.
Quote:
Is it intentional that trith can inhabit any planet with subterranian- and orbital habitation (without Cyborgs)?

No, that would be the thing I mention above, I changed the way Self Sustaining works when I redid the habitation priorities to match what the description said it did, but can't gate it (not sure if it should be gated, the Growth specials have the same affect). It needs fixing, but I'm not sure how.

Part of me thinkgs fixing it best is to stop SS species getting the biological habitation bonuses, but that opens another can of worms.

_________________
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:30 am 
Offline
Programming, Design, Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Posts: 12235
Location: Munich
MatGB wrote:
Part of me thinkgs fixing it best is to stop SS species getting the biological habitation bonuses, but that opens another can of worms.
I thought that was how it already worked... or at least used to...?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:25 am 
Offline
Creative Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 pm
Posts: 3310
Geoff the Medio wrote:
MatGB wrote:
Part of me thinkgs fixing it best is to stop SS species getting the biological habitation bonuses, but that opens another can of worms.
I thought that was how it already worked... or at least used to...?

Definitely doesn't currently, and I don't remember it ever doing so but there was a gap in my playing at the time they were introduced.

SS is supposed to replace the Growth specials but they get it automatically at the beginning, it's probably a bit over the top as is. On the other hand, reduce it to equivalent to 2 growth specials instead of 3 and most of the problems go (the Poor malus is the same amount).

_________________
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:49 pm 
Offline
Space Floater

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:39 am
Posts: 37
regarding possible population: While playing with lafena I could colozinze even hostile planets with only planetary ecology and subterrinian habitation (see screenshot). Ok, it as a blue star, but that seems exessive.
Intentional? How exactly is the formula for the pop including specials, racials, and tech?


Attachments:
lafena.png
lafena.png [ 890.4 KiB | Viewed 500 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:34 pm 
Offline
Creative Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 pm
Posts: 3310
Toastmartin wrote:
regarding possible population: While playing with lafena I could colozinze even hostile planets with only planetary ecology and subterrinian habitation (see screenshot). Ok, it as a blue star, but that seems exessive.
Intentional? How exactly is the formula for the pop including specials, racials, and tech?

Intentional, it's not an exact formula but I started work on a spreadsheet last year that I never finished: I think it's still accurate as I don't recall modifying anything recently.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Each planet has a size (Tiny is 1, Huge is 5), most effects give a bonus that's multiplied by planet size. So a Very Bright star gives phototrophes a +3 bonus multiplied byt the size of the world.

Note that that's exactly the same as what Self Sustaining creatures get on all worlds, and the same as what other metabolisms get for having all three Growth Specials.

At some point I want to give all this another pass, but I'm very happy with the basic flavour, I think Phototrophes might benefit from a bit more variety, I genuinely don't think they're unbalanced (exception: on No Specials and Young Galaxy they have a fairly strong advantage but that's a user defined setting).

_________________
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:14 pm 
Offline
Space Floater

Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:39 am
Posts: 37
ok, cool. The last piece I need to undestand the whole pop-complex: What exactly do the racial braod tolerance and narrow tolerance do?
narrow: home is good, one step in the circle is poor, rest is hostile?
normal: home is good, one step in the circle means one step worse (good, adequate, poor, hostile)?
broad ????


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:48 pm 
Offline
Programmer

Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:08 am
Posts: 389
Broad basically gives an extra poor in each direction.

Comparison of initial Barren:
Code:
Type     | Narrow  | Normal  | Broad
--------------------------------------
Swamp    | Hostile | Hostile | Hostile
Toxic    | Hostile | Hostile | Poor
Inferno  | Hostile | Poor    | Poor
Radiated | Poor    | Adeq    | Adeq
Barren   | Good    | Good    | Good
Tundra   | Poor    | Adeq    | Adeq
Desert   | Hostile | Poor    | Poor
Terran   | Hostile | Hostile | Poor
Ocean    | Hostile | Hostile | Hostile

_________________
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group