Option: turn off specific sounds

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
MatGB
Creative Contributor

Option: turn off specific sounds

#1 Post by MatGB »

I've got a cold, it's giving me a headache. Some audio cues the game gives me are useful, almost essential (clicking on things, generally) although I find some of the default sounds a bit much.

Others, such as the rollover sounds are, to me, utterly pointless. I have no desire, at all, to know that my mouse pointer has ended up over a system several times as I move it around the screen. I want to disable the sounds I don't need (because they annoy me when I haven't got a stinking headache and they're currently making things much worse).

Now, I could record a couple microseconds of silence, save that somewhere and get the game to load that but, fan as I am of John Cage's seminal work, I do think that's slightly overkill.

Can we have an option to either turn off specific sounds or allow the location for that audio file to be blank (and thus load no sound)?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Option: turn off specific sounds

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Sounds reasonable...