production among planets in the same system not shared when

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Slay
Space Floater

production among planets in the same system not shared when

#1 Post by Slay »

production among planets in the same system not shared when supply cannot propagate by one jump

when a system is unable to propagate it's supply by just one starlane jump, is it intended that the planets within that system should not share their production resources among themselves?

tl;dr version: was i seiged or was it a supply propagation issue? and is it intended behaviour?

build 2016-05-03.793b642

this mechanic/behaviour was a bit tricky at first so i'll try to be precise. it's only happened once so far, but i *think* i got it.

my recently conquered system, in a small culdesac, had it's supply cut off from the rest of the empire by a opponent one jump away in deep space. my battle fleet was waiting there *patiently* for repairs, so the system was protected, and not under attack. kinda under seige, though.

therefore, it's supply propagation was unable to extend even one starlane jump away. as a result, it seems, each of the planets of that system were unable to share their production resources.

(this behaviour became more clear after i removed the offending fleet. supply was still cut to the rest of the empire but production was now shared within the system in question as* it could now propagate supply to the next starlane node (*as? well, that's the question))

there were no opposing fleets or planets or outposts there AT the system, everything was mine.

idk if this is intended behaviour. i'd expect it if the system had an armed opposing fleet currently there, AT the system instead of a jump away.

a related question, if a all the planet's in the same system had maximum supply of zero, and were cut off from outside supply, they can't send parcels to one another?

i have a screenshot and save files, but i think i explained it clearly enough, i hope so anyway :)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: production among planets in the same system not shared w

#2 Post by MatGB »

Explanation fine (well, for me anyway).

It's not quite intended, nor unintended, more undecided yet. If you haven't got enough supply to claim that system, then none of the planets within are in supply. However, if any one of those planets has Supply of 1 and you've got a fleet there you should get supply and they should be able to share.

I suspect what happened is it's very soon after conquest and there have been space battles in system on the turn of conquest and immediately afterwards: meters like troops and supply don't/can't go up if the planet gets attacked, which I think is probably a good thing.

I think the presence of a fleet next door shouldn't make a difference, the ability to claim your existing system requires supply above zero.

Personally, after reflection and a lot of gameplay, I'm coming to the conclusion that this is fine as is, immediately after conquest things are going to be in flux, it takes a bit to get the systems working together again.

I am, however, certain that we need a good explanation of the new system in the Pedia ASAP and definitely before the Release.

Others may have differing opinions, and the new system is Geoff's baby so it may be this is what he intends. Or it may be a bug and I've just assumed it's intentional ;-) Geoff?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Slay
Space Floater

#3 Post by Slay »

i went back and checked to make sure. the supply strength was maxed out at 4 for one planet, and 2 for the other 2 planets.

remember i was waiting around for repairs, so it was a few turns i was able to observe this behaviour.

"I think the presence of a fleet next door shouldn't make a difference"

hmm, it appears that it actually did. i can provide the saves if you wish, as trying to duplicate the circumstances could be quite tricky... but

"this is fine as is, immediately after conquest things are going to be in flux"

yeah... i have to agree.

you know, the main reason i noticed was because i wanted all 3 planets to help produce warships at the etty shipyard that was there, which, if i'm not mistaken, is very similar to the reason that prompted a revision of orbital drydocks.

i've got to say, waiting 8 turns for complete repair kills the battlerage. so much for my wave of death :( lol

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#4 Post by dbenage-cx »

Currently, there is no supply in-system regardless of strength, only to a supply route.
Agree that this is fine for now, but in the near future I think this will need to change.

Either through a tech or by default, all systems should have a supply route between their contained objects when not blockaded.
I would opt for this to be by default, since there is no defined range between objects in the same system. That, and and being able to trade with other systems but not neighboring planets is confusing.
For #543, this should probably happen regardless of a star or planet presence (or through an effect, so it can later be extended to parts).

If supply strength of 0 is to mean no in-system supply, it leaves a gap between having a route to the next system (strength 1).
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

We could up some of the numbers and have supply 1 mean this system, but not sure explaining that is clear., on the other hand having zero mean nowhere and 1 mean this system and next system is a bit off. Not sure.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Or just have planets in the same system share production as long as they are not locally being blockaded...

Slay
Space Floater

#7 Post by Slay »

if blockaded set max supply = -1, could that be made to work?