Stealth visibility and hidden enemy fleets

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
MatGB
Creative Contributor

Stealth visibility and hidden enemy fleets

#1 Post by MatGB »

This is getting old:
stealth-krill-storm.png
stealth-krill-storm.png (257.87 KiB) Viewed 681 times
I captured Alniyat on turn 71, immediately after an Ion Storm shifted away from it allowing my troops to land. The storm shifted to hide a krill swarm heading in that direction (pictured). It's now turn 141. I'm fairly certain that that swarm merged with another to make a Medium swarm and then got killed more than 50 turns ago.

I like that stuff I'm aware of on the map but can't see is partially visible, this is an improvement. I like that stuff that becomes hidden due to effects like storms is marked as 'possibly still there.

I don't like that 70 turns later I still get a red dot on my map that I know isn't there.

Not sure how this should be resolved, it's the specific combination of a stealth granting effect and a stealthy creature, both of which move—I'm fairly sure that, if I see the exact same swarm again the map updates, but in this case I can't possibly do so. Ideas or possible solutions very much appreciated.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

Re: Stealth visibility and hidden enemy fleets

#2 Post by em3 »

How about an option in the ui to "forget" a previously visible fleet?
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556