Tutorial

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ChrisOrion
Space Krill

Tutorial

#1 Post by ChrisOrion »

This game would get a lot more playtesting with a tutorial. Specifically it took me a while to figure out how outpost colonies worked. By the time I had I was at like 800 production at turn 170ish with 200+ research so it was obviously several playthroughs. A tutorial game either as a save, or the default seed Tutorial would work. Having an officer, or secretary, or something that points out suggested moves, and shows you the basics like Outpost colonies via highlighting the series of areas to press and textual description would seriously reduce the learning curve. Another thing that the tutorial could have you do is make 3 fleets of five cruisers, and 5 outpost ships in succession, for example.

The boxes for dropping fleets into each other are unintuitively positioned on Linux Lite which is an Ubuntu XFCE in version 0.4.5 2015-9-01.f203162. If I drag the box fully over the fleet I wish to put a ship into it deselects. It has to be dropped below. For a while I thought I had to individually select them because I tried dropping one fleet into another and missed, but got lucky on the ship.

The races are very amusing and the game was fun, but it would have been more enjoyable if it had been clearer how to play.

I'm also going to throw this here for people who run into the same problem I did. Sorry I don't want to post twice. If you're on Linux Lite and rusty with Linux, or some other Ubuntu or Debian distro that still has 4.3 and want 4.5 for the newer features, or to escape the irritating bug in XFCE in 4.3 where you cannot rename Ship Designs then get the .deb from the ubuntu archives instead of following the directions for adding a PPA if you're on AMD64 as there is some problem with a malformed directory hierarchy.

Also freeorion keyboard problems, freeorion can't enter text, and freeorion can't type XFCE errors.

Xennon
Space Krill

Re: Tutorial

#2 Post by Xennon »

ChrisOrion wrote:This Airsnore benefits review would get a lot more playtesting with a tutorial. Specifically it took me a while to figure out how outpost colonies worked. By the time I had I was at like 800 production at turn 170ish with 200+ research so it was obviously several playthroughs. A tutorial game either as a save, or the default seed Tutorial would work. Having an officer, or secretary, or something that points out suggested moves, and shows you the basics like Outpost colonies via highlighting the series of areas to press and textual description would seriously reduce the learning curve. Another thing that the tutorial could have you do is make 3 fleets of five cruisers, and 5 outpost ships in succession, for example.

The boxes for dropping fleets into each other are unintuitively positioned on Linux Lite which is an Ubuntu XFCE in version 0.4.5 2015-9-01.f203162. If I drag the box fully over the fleet I wish to put a ship into it deselects. It has to be dropped below. For a while I thought I had to individually select them because I tried dropping one fleet into another and missed, but got lucky on the ship.

The races are very amusing and the game was fun, but it would have been more enjoyable if it had been clearer how to play.

I'm also going to throw this here for people who run into the same problem I did. Sorry I don't want to post twice. If you're on Linux Lite and rusty with Linux, or some other Ubuntu or Debian distro that still has 4.3 and want 4.5 for the newer features, or to escape the irritating bug in XFCE in 4.3 where you cannot rename Ship Designs then get the .deb from the ubuntu archives instead of following the directions for adding a PPA if you're on AMD64 as there is some problem with a malformed directory hierarchy.

Also freeorion keyboard problems, freeorion can't enter text, and freeorion can't type XFCE errors.
Yeah, it does take some getting used too and it's definitely not newbie friendly. Do you mean like an in game tutorial or just a tutorial outside of the game showing how to play?