Micromanagement and terraforming

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Raflesia
Space Krill

Micromanagement and terraforming

#1 Post by Raflesia »

FreeOrion_2016-06-21.94bf367_MacOSX_10.7.dmg

Hello, I am not sure this is the correct section of the forum ... anyway, some technologies bring improvements that apply to many colonies, like terraforming, gaia, the artificial moon etc. This means that one actually has to go to each planet and queue them, and once a terraforming step is completed, for example go back to the colonies and add it back again if needed.

Now, in some old version of master of orion, when you discovered terraforming, you had the option to queue automatically terraforming for all of your planets that needed it, if you wanted to. Also, one could queue terraforming and automatically repeat it until the planet is completely terraformed, if desired.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Micromanagement and terraforming

#2 Post by MatGB »

We've been discussing this elsewhere (several times, current thread is "Autoforming"), and we've never come to a full conclusion on the best approach (some of us favour a single building and focus settings, others complete automation, some of us don't want the cost of automatic buildings, etc).

One of the things that has come out of it, and it's been in the last few Test builds which you've said elsewhere you're using, is that you can now queue buildings from the Objects search window. Given you can add extra columns, such as species and planet environment, this can be very useful and, while I'm still not used to remembering the option is there, I am finding it much much better.

I have mine setup to also display as columns current and target industry, and queue improvements for planets that are close to maxing out, skipping planets that have a long way to go, I'm sure over time more refinements can be made. I actually quite like this setup now, I don't want automation, especially given we also have techs that adapt species to planet, but it can be very useful.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Raflesia
Space Krill

#3 Post by Raflesia »

I tried the objects window queueing thing, I was not aware of it, thanks for your patience in explaining. I think it is a very cool idea and I will experiment a bit more with it. The objects panel is so highly configurable that one sometimes does not realize how useful it can be.

Elena

Starionx
Space Floater

#4 Post by Starionx »

MatGB wrote: One of the things that has come out of it, and it's been in the last few Test builds which you've said elsewhere you're using, is that you can now queue buildings from the Objects search window. Given you can add extra columns, such as species and planet environment, this can be very useful and, while I'm still not used to remembering the option is there, I am finding it much much better.
I had no idea you could use the extra columns to add things. :D
I like that you can change the existing columns, however it appears that you can't resize any columns, so things get displayed into multiple columns. Also, some of the items have horrendously long names, so they are useless for headings. :(

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Starionx wrote:...it appears that you can't resize any columns, so things get displayed into multiple columns.
There's no GUI, but you can change the widths by editing config.xml.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Starionx wrote:...it appears that you can't resize any columns, so things get displayed into multiple columns.
There's no GUI, but you can change the widths by editing config.xml.
And if anyone competent wants to code a GUI, many many FO players would be insanely grateful.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Starionx
Space Floater

#7 Post by Starionx »

MatGB wrote: And if anyone competent wants to code a GUI, many many FO players would be insanely grateful.
If only I could. :(

The best I can do is dabbling a little with Autohotkey and its GUI.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I added a very clunky GUI in the options screen to adjust the column widths.