AI is tooooooo slow

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: AI is tooooooo slow

#31 Post by Geoff the Medio »

It seems that your system is CPU limited then...

Maybe try tweaking the options settings for number of threads to use for effects processing, in the other tab. Maybe fewer threads is better for you?

EricF
Space Dragon

#32 Post by EricF »

Geoff the Medio wrote:It seems that your system is CPU limited then...

Maybe try tweaking the options settings for number of threads to use for effects processing, in the other tab. Maybe fewer threads is better for you?
All three? Or just some?
There are User Interface, Server and AIs
I set them all to one and will see.

Geoff the Medio

#33 Post by Geoff the Medio »

EricF wrote:All three? Or just some?
There are User Interface, Server and AIs
I set them all to one and will see.
Play around with the options and see if anything helps.

EricF
Space Dragon

#34 Post by EricF »

For the record, I set all three threads to one.
This made things much worse.
Things really slowed to a crawl. 40+ minute turn.

Geoff the Medio

#35 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Try setting each higher separately, or one after the other? Does any one being at 8 help more than the others?

user0169
Space Floater

#36 Post by user0169 »

As already told more times, your pc is too slow if it is single sore. I also only use a dual core pc (even if it is a stronger dual) and the slow AI-processing occurs with more than 10+ players or as soon as i use a large map where the empires get very big.

The program is able to use 2 core, possibly more. I dont know if its also able to use more-core engine than this. It depends on for what it is made. Possibly a programmer will tell us how many engines maximum free orion is able to use.

I dont think that there is any solution but this:

1) use less large map and less AI's
2) buy a better pc

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#37 Post by AndrewW »

user0169 wrote:The program is able to use 2 core, possibly more. I dont know if its also able to use more-core engine than this. It depends on for what it is made. Possibly a programmer will tell us how many engines maximum free orion is able to use.
Not a programmer but each AI has it's own thread. Plus a main thread.

Geoff the Medio

#38 Post by Geoff the Medio »

AndrewW wrote:Not a programmer but each AI has it's own thread. Plus a main thread.
There is also, as mentioned above, a setting in options to control how many threads to use for effects processing in the AI, human client, and server programs.

user0169
Space Floater

#39 Post by user0169 »

Geoff the Medio wrote:There is also, as mentioned above, a setting in options to control how many threads to use for effects processing in the AI, human client, and server programs.
As far as i understand a 'thread' makes an AI able to use one core of the cpu? That means the program will be able to support any number of cores. ok, thats good.

Fact is that there are three componets which determin how many cores can be used. Hardware, operating system and the used program. In each case the lowest part determins how many cores can be used.

But in the end i dont understand what people are trying in this thread (forum thread). Its obvious that he has an insufficient hardware. No programming effort will ever make a sufficient hardware out of it. Really you keep him busy. He needs another pc.

Geoff the Medio

#40 Post by Geoff the Medio »

user0169 wrote:But in the end i dont understand what people are trying in this thread (forum thread). Its obvious that he has an insufficient hardware. No programming effort will ever make a sufficient hardware out of it.
Perhaps, but I'm trying to get log files that help diagnose if there is a particular function in the AI or turn processing that is taking up most of the time, which could be optimized, and suggesting tweaking settings to make the problem less bad, without expecting that it will go away entirely.