Extremely frustrated player feedback after playing 4.5

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Extremely frustrated player feedback after playing 4.5

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:
EricF wrote:Is there a way to turn Experimenters off?
IIRC they can only appear if you set monster frequency to medium or high.
Is that true in v0.4.5?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Vezzra wrote:
EricF wrote:Is there a way to turn Experimenters off?
IIRC they can only appear if you set monster frequency to medium or high.
Is that true in v0.4.5?
Ah yes, that's a good question. I think that went in the same time we decided to eliminate monsters completely (that is, don't even place the guard monsters) when monsters frequency is set to none. Mat, any idea when we did that...?

EricF
Space Dragon

#18 Post by EricF »

I'm playing FreeOrion_2016-08-16.6a394b5_Test_Win32_Setup.exe
experimenters.JPG
experimenters.JPG (118.46 KiB) Viewed 497 times
I've just recently captured the Experimentors Homeworld Whitefall I
You will notice the Monsters setting is 'Low'

I would have eliminated all the AI players long ago if it weren't for those pesky Experimentors. :)
Nobody told me Psionic Snowflakes can affect you from adjacent systems. :(

Geoff the Medio

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Where is the code or script that creates experimentors? I haven't been able to find any references to them other than the species definition, but I'm not sure where else to look.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#20 Post by MatGB »

Monsters, the Experimentor Outpost/Experiment Zero is the main determinant of where they start, and then Buildings for the Outpost that does the heavy lifting once they're placed.

They can/will appear on monsters=low, but not monsters=none. In addition they're unlikely to appear if you have lots of AI homeworlds or starlanes=high due to the limitations on where they can start. Plus their start turn (in buildings) is determined by a large variety of factors, adding in monster density as an extra reduction would be a good approach there.

It would be good I think to try to get there starting setup redone so they're part of galaxy generation and a distinct 'victory condition' option on the game setup screen earlier rather than later in the next Cycle, but it's way beyond my coding ability.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio

#21 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MatGB wrote:Monsters, the Experimentor Outpost/Experiment Zero is the main determinant of where they start, and then Buildings for the Outpost that does the heavy lifting once they're placed.
Huh... for some reason I thought they were already handled by special-case python code in the universe generation scripts.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#22 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
MatGB wrote:Monsters, the Experimentor Outpost/Experiment Zero is the main determinant of where they start, and then Buildings for the Outpost that does the heavy lifting once they're placed.
Huh... for some reason I thought they were already handled by special-case python code in the universe generation scripts.
We've been mentioned this quite a lot, but nothing got done in that department yet.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#23 Post by defaultuser »

I would suggest calming down and asking more specific questions rather than ranting. I too suspect that the reason you're losing colonies is that you are placing them on planets that can't sustain them. An early experience I had was taking worlds from AIs, only to have the colonies fail. The AIs had higher growth tech than I did.

You haven't responded to as to whether you know how to check the habitability of planets for specific species.