What does upgrading weapons do now.

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
xlightwavex
Space Kraken

Re: What does upgrading weapons do now.

#16 Post by xlightwavex »

I'll jump over to the scripting forum then.

I want to post in full everything so far and knock out the specific questions i have.

>> accountinglabel = <<
EricF wrote:Hmm, I liked that engines 'stacked'. It was the only way to get slow hulls like asteroid hulls to have a decent speed since they had so much internal space.
But I can see your point too. Going this path I would like to see more engines and not core mount ones.
Or, as I've requested before, more Items that can use a Core slot as well as normal Internal slots so that core slots aren't wasted.
Things that are Core slot only should still stay that way.
Mind you this is just for me to test out atm.

If this works its then possible to lob on a more powerful engine on a asteroid to speed it up. Though it wouldn't be as fast as like a energy hull with the same engine. It's also a idea to have engines as they are now stack able with minor bonuses as external mounts. Meaning for more speed you trade in weapons or armor. First off though its both a test and i want to see if its possible.

I will of course when im done post up my altered default/ folders that you could drop right into your own program filesx86 defaults to try it out when im all done and post what i have to the scripting forum.

You would make a copy of your originals of course first. You want to be able to get back to the default game you might not like the changes.

Im actually switching back and forth by just renaming the default folder, i just rename default to default_original and the default_working to default or visa versa.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

Re: What does upgrading weapons do now.

#17 Post by dbenage-cx »

EricF wrote:Hmm, I liked that engines 'stacked'. It was the only way to get slow hulls like asteroid hulls to have a decent speed since they had so much internal space.
But I can see your point too. Going this path I would like to see more engines and not core mount ones.
Personally, I agree with the original design decision, bonus that it follows common logic irl.
(you can't just swap engines from a tank with a mini, or the cpu in a supercomputer and your phone).
However, even if I don't feel the changes fit (and realism is a poor argument here):
  • It may evolve into something everyone loves
  • Might invoke some great idea
  • At worst, is a good learning experience
  • I try to stay away from balance decisions as much as possible
As to the engine couplings, I suspect they are not intended to stack in a final version.
The current parts roster is lacking for internal slots though, so there would be little else to fill up a hull (e.g. Solar Hull) for the time being.
xlightwavex wrote:Im actually switching back and forth by just renaming the default folder, i just rename default to default_original and the default_working to default or visa versa.
No need to rename, you can use the command line option:

Code: Select all

--resource-dir
     Sets the root directory for the game resource files (game content and data
     files).
Or change the resource-dir value in your config.xml