Ancient Guardians

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
jadwin
Space Floater

Ancient Guardians

#1 Post by jadwin »

What are they for?

You can shout the shild down, you can invade the planet, they will self destruct. But you can not get the planet. You can't even colonize it. After the self destruction of the robots the shilds recharge and new ground troops are build and you can not attackt it. A Bug?

And you can not turn it off, when you choose no natives at the beginning.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Ancient Guardians

#2 Post by MatGB »

They shouldn't be reappearing once conquered, they don't for me, they're meant to be a partial replacement for Sentries (and, eventually, Sentinels) that doesnt' clog up the starlanes and block scouts, etc. They're explicitly not natives and once conquered you should be able to colonise the world immediately using the colony buildings. If you can't then yes, there's a bug, but it didn't appear in testing so we need screenshots and savegame.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

jadwin
Space Floater

#3 Post by jadwin »

Screenshot and savegame. The shield regenerate to a strength of 11. There are troops left on the planet. But the Guardins are gone. Oh, i can't add the save game it's over 1MB. All other save games are much smaller.
Attachments
Orion.PNG
Orion.PNG (114.6 KiB) Viewed 1804 times

Morlic
AI Contributor

#4 Post by Morlic »

The color indicates the planet Rhilus beta II is owned by the blue player. If you are that player, then everything is working as intended. The planet just is a normal outpost.

If you can not build a colony building there, the planet type may be hostile to the species in your empire. In that case, try to conquer another species to colonize the planet or research the relevant growth techs (though that may take time and is not recommended too early in the game).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

OK, we need to reword the Sitrep for the self destruct: "On Rhilus B 1 the Ancient Guardians self destructed leaving an Outpost under your control"?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

jadwin
Space Floater

#6 Post by jadwin »

Ok, sorry, all is fine.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#7 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:OK, we need to reword the Sitrep for the self destruct: "On Rhilus B 1 the Ancient Guardians self destructed leaving an Outpost under your control"?
What about: "On %planet%: The [[species SP_ANCIENT_GUARDIANS]] self-destructed when the planet was captured! The planet is now an Outpost under your control."
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#8 Post by dbenage-cx »

Would 'exterminated' sound better than 'self-destructed'? With the later, I keep imagining them explode :)

Sloth
Content Scripter

#9 Post by Sloth »

dbenage-cx wrote:Would 'exterminated' sound better than 'self-destructed'? With the later, I keep imagining them explode :)
Me too...and that's what i intended. What's wrong with guardian robots blowing themselves up?
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#10 Post by dbenage-cx »

Forgot they were robotic, sounds good.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by MatGB »

jadwin wrote:Ok, sorry, all is fine.
Except it wasn't. Those of us that wrote/reviewed the code didn't realize the description of what was happening wasn't clear to someone who hadn't read the code. We seriously need feedback like this so we can fix in game descriptions so that the game is playable without reading the code to find out what's meant to happen, so I really do appreciate the feedback because, 4 years ago, I would've been in your position slightly confused about what was happening and we have no clue how many other players out there are in similar situations.

So, seriously, if the descriptions in game are confusing or unclear please do tell us, yet, it's work, but it's work that needs doing to make the game actually good enough for proper release, and it's better to get the description on a new feature right early than leave it.

Thx Sloth, fix now in.
Mat Bowles