Troop Drops, Troop Ships

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
zarquan
Space Floater

Re: Troop Drops, Troop Ships

#16 Post by zarquan »

Honestly, I think asteroid hulls are the best for troop ships because they can hold 6 slots, have 30 structure, and are dirt cheap. The one downside is that you have to have an asteroid belt and, now that troop modifiers effect troop ships, a planet in the system, but that's not uncommon. At higher level, crystallized asteroid hulls are just as good but they have 55 structure. You waste a lot of troops, but troops are cheap and the enemy can't blow up your troop ships too easily. One asteroid hull with 6 troop pods is cheaper than an empty robotic hull.

I do wish that it prioritized the troop drops though. From a back-end perspective, you could make sure drop ships are at the front of the list of ships in the system, if you use a list to store the ships.

I also did not know there was a cost to having old ships around. It would be nice if there was something in the interface that told me that.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#17 Post by MatGB »

zarquan wrote: I also did not know there was a cost to having old ships around. It would be nice if there was something in the interface that told me that.
It is explained in the PEdia, but was always meant to be a stopgap measure, it's (hopefully) being replaced in the next cycle so working on a UI change to indicate something that ceases to exist soon probably isn't worth it.

(current cycle for 0.4.7 release: Fighters, next cycle for 0.5.0: Influence, which changes a lot of upkeep stuff)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#18 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MatGB wrote:[Ship upkeep costs]... was always meant to be a stopgap measure, it's (hopefully) being replaced in the next cycle...
I think it's an effective (partial) solution to the issue of having too many ships, and would rather keep the mechanic even after influence is implemented, though perhaps in a modified form (such as having ways to mitigate the cost increases through government choices or similar).