Map constellations to replay

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
user0169
Space Floater

Map constellations to replay

#1 Post by user0169 »

I always see the people decribe their maps how they prefer it but not really exactly. I thought it could be interesting to give exact game settings of constellations which we counted to be an interesting challenge; and the possibility to replay it for others.

Ill begin with one which i counted challenging but playable as long as i watched out exactly. Would like to see what others offer and try to test it out.

I liked this one with seed dH4xFmsi
Systems 225; Gal. Shape Elliptical; Galaxy Age Mature; Starlane Frequency High;
Planet Density Low; Specials Fequency Medium; Monster Frequency High; Native Frequency Medium;
Max AI Agression Agressive; Strating Species Chato; No of AI Players 8
also seen in the pic attached
Attachments
Map1.png
Map1.png (225.48 KiB) Viewed 1391 times

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: Map constellations to replay

#2 Post by defaultuser »

Something I didn't pick up from the change log, but is the setup now completely deterministic? It used to be that even if you had the same beginning seed and parameters, some things like monster placement and native worlds had their own randomness, so you might not get the exact same game.

I have not checked 0.4.6 to see about that.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

defaultuser wrote:...is the setup now completely deterministic?
Probably not quite, but probably closer to being so.

user0169
Space Floater

#4 Post by user0169 »

Im not completely sure if 100%. In the beginning as i played this game, accidently i chose the same seed and settings one time and it was all the same as i recognized. Dont know if in this version and for the whole map. I did not try it again afterwards, but if not it should be about.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
defaultuser wrote:...is the setup now completely deterministic?
Probably not quite, but probably closer to being so.
I might have to investigate. Sometimes when I get an interesting or challenging game, the idea comes to try it again with a different style of play. However, getting the same game back from initial conditions used to be difficult. Unless you saved a very early turn.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Part of my "probably" doubt is that it might not be consistent between different operating systems. But I think it should be mostly consistent if you use the same system each time. I wasn't really involved in the relevant work, though.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#7 Post by defaultuser »

Ah. So likely consistent for the same machine. Good to know. I'm using Win 7. Not sure about the OP, but I might give that setup a try next game. I'm just about wrapping up the current one.

I don't normally play Elliptical nor than many AIs, but it's good to try something different once in a while. Like reading a different style of book than your usual fare.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#8 Post by defaultuser »

I had recalled discussing the randomness in the past. I dredged up the thread:

http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopi ... =28&t=9960

user0169
Space Floater

#9 Post by user0169 »

Sometimes when I get an interesting or challenging game, the idea comes to try it again with a different style of play.
This unfortunately is not possible in a compareable way. The player who tries to replay his own game (same seed & settings) in a different style will not be able to switch out his experience from the last game. If you want it or not, you know the map and this influences that your direction of discovery is not random.
But I think it should be mostly consistent if you use the same system each time.
The setup from #1 is plaied on win10.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by MatGB »

Galaxy layout and placement of specials, planets, species is entirely the same (or should be, if not there's a bug), and should be regardless of OS, we did a lot to hunt down the quirks that meant that wasn't always the case.

However, while initial monster placement is determined by the Python scripts, there are then a lot of turn zero effects that are processed to complete the setup, and these aren't (and, to my knowledge, cannot be) guaranteed to be the same.

This will include placement of sentries/sentinels/guardians, drone factories, monster nests and similar. Basically, anything handled by an effectsgroup within the scripts that involves a random element can change, anything placed by python using the basic definitions should be the same.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

UrshMost
Space Kraken

#11 Post by UrshMost »

What I've done before is save the game at the beginning of turn 1, and then you could distribute that save file if it turned out to be a great game.

I created a topic on it called Difficult Game Saves where I envisioned people posting games, but there wasn't any feedback.

http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9984

One issue is the save games are version dependent, so they would only be viable for a while.
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#12 Post by defaultuser »

user0169 wrote:
Sometimes when I get an interesting or challenging game, the idea comes to try it again with a different style of play.
This unfortunately is not possible in a compareable way. The player who tries to replay his own game (same seed & settings) in a different style will not be able to switch out his experience from the last game. If you want it or not, you know the map and this influences that your direction of discovery is not random.
I try to not let my former knowledge get in the way. How successful that is, well hard to say. I think fairly so. I still send scouts to systems I know are going to kill them. Just because I have to explore them.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#13 Post by defaultuser »

I assume that things like player and empire names won't affect the map and other things, right?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#14 Post by MatGB »

defaultuser wrote:I assume that things like player and empire names won't affect the map and other things, right?
In theory? No. In practice? Never noticed it doing so, but there's no guarantee.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#15 Post by defaultuser »

Ok, thanks.