Any chance of a monster here?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
defaultuser
Juggernaut

Any chance of a monster here?

#1 Post by defaultuser »

Occasionally one gets a layout where there is only one connector to homeworld (see below). I have never seen a monster sitting at that first world. Is that just luck so far, or is there a rule that prevents a monster being generated at that position?
fost.png
fost.png (190.15 KiB) Viewed 555 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Any chance of a monster here?

#2 Post by MatGB »

For the most part, it's theoretically prevented, for example the Ancient Ruins placement code contains the following clause

Code: Select all

Not WithinStarlaneJumps jumps = 2 condition = And [
            System
            Contains And [
                Planet
                OwnedBy affiliation = AnyEmpire
]
Which prevents it being too close to you at start, most specials have similar and IIRC the monsters code does the same.

However, I've never relied on that fully so tend to avoid sending my initial colony ship blind.

On the other hand I suspect if there was something nasty blocking me off completely I'd probably give up on that game—so really, if it does happen, report it as an issue with the generation settings so we can try to gate whatever the problem was.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: Any chance of a monster here?

#3 Post by defaultuser »

It would depend a bit on the particular one, but yeah pretty tough start. Especially now that you don't get instant repair from drydocks, so it's more difficult to shuttle attack ships.