Stealthed scouts can force combat

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
MatGB
Creative Contributor

Stealthed scouts can force combat

#1 Post by MatGB »

I think this is abusive but want some feedback before opening an issue.

If you have an unarmed vessel with a high stealth value, it can force combat with enemy forces even though they can't spot it and it never makes an aggressive act.

This can be abused in a number of ways, not least by preventing virtually all repair techs and buildings from working. You can also use it to have a high tech native or otherwise defended native planet (eg Kobuntura) fire at AI troop ships that would otherwise orbit unscathed.

I don't think it's right that you can prevent an opponent from repairing their craft at a crucial drydock by parking an unarmed high stealth scout vessel there. This is magnified by the low priority the AI normally gives to detection but it would be an issue regardless.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Re: Stealthed scouts can force combat

#2 Post by AndrewW »

I'll agree with you on this one, not a major issue but something that should be addressed at some point.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Unarmed stealthed ships definitely either shouldn't be able to trigger combat, or be revealed after the first round of combat so they can be shot at (assuming you need to set them to "Control System" to trigger combat).

L29Ah
Space Squid

#4 Post by L29Ah »

I don't encounter problems during MP, as AIs are often prioritizing detection more than humans and humans are inclined to catch with each other to avoid being punished with stealthy warships. Also, i don't remember AIs caring about repairs or their dropships' location at all.
Team S.M.A.C.: play multiplayer with us!