First time through v0.4.5

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
phystys
Space Krill

First time through v0.4.5

#1 Post by phystys »

The experience was not immediately satisfying. There are many types of techs and the benefits of one track over another (e.g., nano tech robot hulls versus asteroid hulls) is not really clear.

I wiped out all the other AI players with no hint that I'd won the game (I know from the site that there wouldn't be, but really??!!). So, I continued to play until I researched the Singularity of Transcendence. Again, absolutely no indication in the SitRep that I'd won the game. What is the point of winning if no one in your galaxy knows or cares?

I plan to play again on a harder level. Even so, there seem to be a lot of techs and buildings that don't serve much purpose

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: First time through v0.4.5

#2 Post by MatGB »

Why 0.4.5? It's 18 months out of date and we've fixed most of that.

Regarding the different hull techs, and they're meant to provide different strategic options, or benefit different play styles, the advantage of one specific hull over another isn't described directly in the tech but in the linked description of what it unlocks. Documentation is sometimes lacking in the game but again a lot of work gap been done for it since the version you played was released.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

phystys
Space Krill

#3 Post by phystys »

I'm running Linux Mint and v0.4.5 was the version available and still is from package sources. Where do i get the latest version for Linux?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

phystys wrote:I'm running Linux Mint and v0.4.5 was the version available and still is from package sources. Where do i get the latest version for Linux?
I learnt how to compile from source, on Kubuntu it's a few commands and half an hour or so to compile, there's been talk of a tarball and similar but I didn't get involved in that, beyond that whoever created the Mint repo could be asked to update, I don't really know how that works (I'm still new to Linux).

The Wiki has an up to date as of a few months back "how to compile" page, we updated it when I last had to reinstall from scratch when I messed up my OS.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.