All Monsters Seem to Be the Same Side

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Goddog
Space Krill

All Monsters Seem to Be the Same Side

#1 Post by Goddog »

I am playing FreeOrion v0.4.7 2017-06-06.4833950_Test_Win32

I have played FreeOrion since v0.4.4 was released. Today I just found out that all wild monsters are on the same side. :)

I tried implementing stealth strategy by building a scout with stealth 65. Then, I sent it through enemies' defenses and a load of monsters. The scout seemed to sneak through well until it faced 3 monsters.

1. A drone factory (detection strength = 10)
2. A great kraken (detection strength = 50)
3. A small snowflake (detection strength = 150, but no armament)

I thought my scout can pass easily since only the snowflake could see it but could not fire. However, my scout was destroyed by the drone factory and the great kraken. There was the only explanation: the drone factory and the great kraken got information from the small snowflake. In other words, they shared their visions.

I wonder how (and why) these monsters work together. By saying this, I do not mean working together is wrong, but I do not expect these monsters can work together very well despite of their different origins.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: All Monsters Seem to Be the Same Side

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Goddog wrote:t I do not expect these monsters can work together very well despite of their different origins.
Time to develop some new expectations! :D
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#3 Post by Jaumito »

Dilvish wrote:
Goddog wrote:t I do not expect these monsters can work together very well despite of their different origins.
Time to develop some new expectations! :D
Indeed. There's an African bird (the indicator bird) that's famous for doing exactly that. I guess any ship crew is like honey to snowflakes.

Goddog
Space Krill

#4 Post by Goddog »

Jaumito wrote: Indeed. There's an African bird (the indicator bird) that's famous for doing exactly that. I guess any ship crew is like honey to snowflakes.
I would take that for the rationale. Next time, I will not underestimate their indicating abilities. :)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

Yeah, mechanically all neutral stuff is of the same faction, including guard ships for Acirema and high tech native defences, etc. It's not 100% realistic, but it works and rewriting it's probably not worth the effort.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.