I dislike the newer ship design screen

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
defaultuser
Juggernaut

I dislike the newer ship design screen

#1 Post by defaultuser »

I've been playing somewhat newer versions (Test build from 5/20) even with the screen/mouse problems. I have to say that I really don't like the ship design. They went with the more "realistic" images, but I find that I spend way too much time rolling a mouse over the image to find the slots. I don't know what was wrong with the easy schematic view of the past, with the slots clearly delineated.

I can't even image building a Titanic hull ship from scratch. Most of my design has been modified saved ship files.

Unless there's some schematic view that I missed, put me down as "not a fan".

EricF
Space Dragon

Re: I dislike the newer ship design screen

#2 Post by EricF »

I'm confused. I'm playing the 2017-10-08 test build and the
design screen looks pretty much the same as it always has.
This is what mine looks like. Is yours different?
designscreen.jpg
designscreen.jpg (382.68 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
I don't have any trouble finding the slots.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#3 Post by defaultuser »

Mine doesn't look like that. Either there's a difference from 5/20 to current, or it's another side-effect of the general display problem. I will make a shot when I get home.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

It would appear that it is an artifact of the display problems as described here:

http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopi ... =25&t=9768

They don't show up at all, so I had no idea that they were there. Also explains why I couldn't always find all of the slots.
SB.jpg
SB.jpg (159.35 KiB) Viewed 1048 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

I have vague memories of that being a problem when I had that bug, so yeah, no deliberate changes were made for that to be happening and I have zero clue how to sort.

You can create save ships in a text file and fill them with basic parts to replace fairly easily as a workaround, but that's not idea. I really hope that bug can be narrowed down, it was a shame the laptop I had it on died else we'd be about a year ahead at it by now.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#6 Post by defaultuser »

Sure, that's what I've been doing. This is the first thing I noticed that is a hard "never show". Now that I know the basic idea, I should be able to find slots easier.