[Sitrep] Systems just de-cloaked

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
alleryn
Space Dragon

[Sitrep] Systems just de-cloaked

#1 Post by alleryn »

I'm guessing this would be pretty tough to implement, but the situation arises quite often when one is waiting to gain vision of a planet to colonise or invade (usually waiting for an Ion Storm to pass).

It would be pretty nice if this could be integrated into the Sitrep somehow ("The planet xyz has just been sighted" ?). Probably best to wait on this until the next stealth pass, but i thought it was worth mentioning.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: [Sitrep] Systems just de-cloaked

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Good idea, but you should probably open a feature request issue for that on github. Ideas like that just left here on the forum have this tendency to get buried and forgotten... ;)

alleryn
Space Dragon

#3 Post by alleryn »

Vezzra wrote:Good idea, but you should probably open a feature request issue for that on github. Ideas like that just left here on the forum have this tendency to get buried and forgotten... ;)
Will do. My preference is to leave my feature requests on the forum for at least a week ago, in case anyone has ideas to improve them (or points out problems in my original idea).

I'll make a pass now over my old posts to check for any feature requests from the forums that i need to formalize.

Thanks, Vezzra :)

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Just for the record, I would also like such feature, and have nothing else to add :)

alleryn
Space Dragon

#5 Post by alleryn »

Just a quick update on what i'm thinking of requesting, as i'm not really sure what the best approach is:

Three new sitrep filters (the last of which may be unnecessary):

1. Unowned Planet Revealed and an Outpost/Colony Ship of your Empire is present in the System.
2. Enemy-owned Planet Revealed and Troop Count of your Fleet at the System is > 0.
3. Any Planet Revealed

[Here Revealed is intended to mean Previous Turn: Stealth > Your Empire Detection, Current Turn: Stealth <= Your Empire Detection]

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#6 Post by Jaumito »

Come to think of it, a mere filter for "idle" colony/outpost/troop ships (not moving, weren't produced this turn and didn't arrive at a system this turn) would solve your problem and would be easier to implement.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#7 Post by Dilvish »

Some interesting ideas, enough to get me digging through the code looking at factors related to implementation for this, and while looking at it I also noted some related sitrep nuances which I think are of particular interest to MatGB (in regards to various damage repair sitreps) and which I have highlighted in the wiki section on Order of Turn Event Processing.

Looks to me like the one key scripting capability that prevents most of this from being scriptable as a personal custom sitrep relates to the visibility info. (But probably in some cases with a one turn delay, see below).

Adding an optional "turn = " clause to the EmpireObjectVisibility ValueRef, could allow for comparing the current visibility of an item to that on the previous turn.

With our current Order of Turn Event Processing, all scripted sitreps are generated as part of the single round of general Effect processing that is done after the post movement&combat visibility updates. So any de-cloaking which is triggered by movement & combat could be caught fine by such a sitrep, but any de-cloaking which is accomplished via an Effect (including indirectly via meter value changes) would not result in a sitrep being delivered until the turn after the visibility change was first directly observable by the player.

That may be rare enough that we simply accept that caveat, or, it could be that we might want to do something about it. Looking into the issue more, it seems related to an aspect of our effect processing that has also allowed damage repair sitreps to get out of sync with the actual damage repaired. It seems to me that a reasonable remedy (at least possible/partial remedy) could be to allow SetMeteter Effects to specify a sitrep subclause, but for at least for this visibility issue that could still allow for some discrepancies because of conflicting Effects. I think I should post an issue about this broader issue of discrepancies between sitreps and related meter changes.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

alleryn
Space Dragon

#8 Post by alleryn »

I'm going to try to keep an eye on Dilvish's github issue and make a request when/if that gets resolved.

Edit: For reference, that github issue is: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/1927