"Starlanes everywhere" (Test option)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

"Starlanes everywhere" (Test option)

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Love it!

I know this is not a recent feature, but I discovered it just a few months ago. Tried it a few times and liked it very much. The sense of irreality for being forced to travel through long starlanes pathes between two nearby planets with no apparent or abstract reason to stop the direct travel completely disappears, while it is still using the same starlane system than standard game (with only a fraction of the possible pairs of systems directly connected).

With this mode, you see no starlanes in the map (as desired, since all starlanes drawed would render a cluttered screen), but it's not really "starlanes everywhere", not every pair of systems is directly connected, but any pair of systems that are within a certain range with no systems in between will be directly connected.
I guess it messes up with the supply and fuel systems by making their techs less necessary and very hard to cut off an enemy supply lines. The former can can be balanced (at least in part) by using more systems per player and lower planet density. The latter has no apparent solution since using more military squads to form a line of guarded systems long and thick enough would be easy to counter with just one single, stronger-enough squad, unless the player trying to cut supply lines is way stronger than the other, but in such case it would be easier to directly occupy the enemy systems than to lose time cutting shit. However this doesn't bother me since I never try to cut enemy lines.
It also messes up with the GUI, since you can't directly see the connection between planets that form a given supply chain, but you can assume that nearby systems with the same color are in the same supply group.

For those that have not tried it, I recommend it.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: "Starlanes everywhere" (Test option)

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If you have specific suggestions for how to tweak the rules for where lanes actually are generated, and how to display them when there are so many, do please post. I didn't put much effort into such optimization.