Starting tech level and empire size

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Mr. Tree
Space Krill

Starting tech level and empire size

#1 Post by Mr. Tree »

Hello, I have been started playing free Orion 2 years ago and I have to say, It's great. I Like what your doing, keep up the good work :D

There is one feature I think that could be useful to the game.
I play more often with my brothers in LAN games and even though I have the patience with the game. Some people don't.
It usually takes a while before the game starts to get interesting (for me approximately around turn 120).
However It can take a few hours to get into the game if you are playing with multiple players, and at that point some want to call it quits.

So, I was hoping to throw out an idea.

It would be great if you could ad a feature to the start menu which would add an option to choose a starting tech level (somewhat like in Civ)
Maybe better would be an option to choose which ones (for example having every player have some points they can spend on technologies
at the beginning and let them choose some) so that there would be some differences at the start

Also to be able to set the amount of starting planets (maybe even two races)

I don't know if this is too complicated or anything but the ability to start a game a little bit more progress in the game would be great for just playing a faster game if you don't have all that much time.

Thanks for reading this (if you do)
Keep up the good work :D
Hope to give more feedback and ideas in the future

The Silent One
Graphics

Re: Starting tech level and empire size

#2 Post by The Silent One »

Hi Mr. Tree,
a simple solution for your request would be to add more colony ships at game start; you can edit "fleets.inf" for that. You can also pre-unlock techs in items.inf; all of that can be found at /scripting/starting_unlocks.
Apart from that, being able to define the game starting conditions from within the game sounds like a reasonable suggestion, so you could issue a feature request on https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ and maybe you are lucky and somebody will pick it up at some point.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.