FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:14 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.

Post subject: Fleet overlay
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:57 am 
Vacuum Dragon

This is a problem I have from time to time. In the image below, there are actually two fleets. They apparently aren't close enough together see both when you click on the top one. But nothing I can do will allow me to select the one that's under it. So in this case I'd like to change the destination of both fleets to somewhere else. But I can't get the larger fleet selected.

Attachment:
ol.jpg
ol.jpg [ 14.83 KiB | Viewed 422 times ]

Post subject: Re: Fleet overlay
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:34 am 
Vacuum Dragon

If zooming in doesn't work, and there is not a more elegant GUI solution, I guess it would be good to be able to click-n-drag-select fleets.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:04 am 
Programming, Design, Admin

A workaround is to use the objects window to select the fleet. Double-clicking a fleet in the objects list should select it in the fleets window. You can also add / sort by columns for the next system a fleet is moving to, or the nearest system to the fleet.

Attachments:
File comment: objects window for fleets
objects_fleets.png
objects_fleets.png [ 110.66 KiB | Viewed 411 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 am 
Programmer

Agree this can be annoying, could also use hotkey (alt + f / g, or ctrl + f / g).

In addition to group selection, another thought is to add fleets within a small radius to fleet window when selecting from map.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:51 pm 
AI Lead, Programmer

dbenage-cx wrote:
In addition to group selection, another thought is to add fleets within a small radius to fleet window when selecting from map.

Yes, I think this is the way to go (and to avoid weirdness if two ships are technically close due to being near their destination system, but actually approaching on different starlanes, I would only include fleets that are either (i) in the same system or (ii) on the same starlane and within something like 5-10 uu, probably best dependent on zoom level, maybe even have the threshold calculated from zoom level and fleet button size.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:03 am 
Vacuum Dragon

Sorry, I was away. Thanks for the tips. I'll mark the thread for next time it comes up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:01 am 
Programmer

I started a branch to address this last fall, in the manner Dilvish described. I will look into completing it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:13 am 
Programmer

I've pushed a pull request, PR that closely implements Dilvish's suggestion.

Fleets at or departing from systems should be unchanged and are grouped by system and empire.

When a moving fleet button is selected the fleets from all touching fleet buttons on the same starlane are included in the fleet window. This may include fleets from differing empires. All moving fleets that are not on a starlane are handled separately in the same manner.

The PR also changes the tracking behavior of the fleet window, so that it will try to follow moving fleets provided that they stay close together. Otherwise it will close the window.