Bug? Screenshot freezed game (linux, fullscreen)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Bug? Screenshot freezed game (linux, fullscreen)

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Playing compiled version from github, with tweaks to self-containment and subterranean habitation techs performed "by hand" with no git use (I have no idea yet of how to commit changes, manage branches, etc.).
Version: Not sure if this is it:
~/FreeOrion/freeorion$ git rev-parse HEAD
5266024dd56ac679ec6f7d091cdd6b9ae1d583a6

I was playing a new game (had loaded previous autosaves two times during the game session, last one around turn 50), in full screen mode.
In turn 81 I saw an enemy outpost ship went missing in one of my systems (Godel alpha). I saved game (but not logs) and loaded turn 80 to check if it happens again. Before clicking next turn I took a screenshot that open an application to save the image file. After that FO was unresponsive, pointer wouln't move. Ctrl-C in the terminal where I started freeorion had no effect (application didn't terminate). I closed the terminal to kill freeorion and saved log files, attached.

Edit: restarting FO, reloading the same game and taking another screenshot in fullscreen didn't cause any trouble, so it's not easily reproducible nor a big problem.
Attachments
game_freezed_fullscreen_screenshot.zip
(537.05 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Bug? Screenshot freezed game (linux, fullscreen)

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Just for the record:

I've got a few more crashes, playing same version.

I have two kind of crashes:
- FO crashes cleanly: the best I can tell is that it happens randomly. I'm playing, doing something in the GUI, and FO closes abruptly. Those are not really annoying because I can just restart right away.
- FO freezes: happens sometimes when alt-tabing, not sure it all times when interacting with another application (like the screenshot taker in my first crash, an unexpected pop up window or browsing something on Inet). Once I alt-tab back to FO it's completely freezed (no pointer drawing). The system is responsive (I can alt-tab, the pointer appear when hovering over non-FO windows, I can open a terminal and do stuff), but there is no message of program not responding or anything. The terminal in which I started FO is still there and looks like on, I can't write unless I do ctrl-C. Once interrupted the freeorion launcher, if I do ps I can see that the bash process(parent of the freeorion launcher) and one of the freeorion processes are alive (I can't tell right now if both are "freeorion" or one is "freeoriond"), but one is defunct. Now comes the weird stuff: if I kill -9 the still alive freeorion process it dies but the freeorion map that I still see in the background of my desktop will not disappear, and I have to restart the ubuntu session to fix it (via a fatal error that crashes Unity and the error report window.
So I've acquired the custom of not having anything important open when playing FO (which is a pity, because I like to multitask sometimes).

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote:5266024dd56ac679ec6f7d091cdd6b9ae1d583a6
Do / did you have any similar issues with versions before the set of changes around that commit that replaces bind with lamdas? Perhaps b231bed ?

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#4 Post by dbenage-cx »

Might also check after revert of bind->lambda (which will include #1945).

From logs, part of this sounds like it might be related to resigning and starting a new/loaded game.

Another possible candidate is the combination of SDL, fullscreen and (less so) Ubuntu. Do you play any other fullscreen SDL games frequently?
Ubuntu used to have some issues with fullscreen SDL (iirc due to passing full control of input and not recovering), not sure if that is still an issue or since resolved.
(Noting some versions from logs for later reference: GL 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4 Boost 1.58 SDL 2.0.4)

If dmesg ( journalctl -k ) or system logs do not help, might try enabling collection of stack traces (Apport), in case it is system related.