15 inch Cintiq screen

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
godel
Space Dragon

15 inch Cintiq screen

#1 Post by godel »

Well the game can be played on a 15 inch Cintiq art screen, and I have continued to have fun while upgrading my kids system.
But there are a few places where a hopefully small upgrade would be an immense help. One such place is the screen that shows what worlds are what. Species, owner, things like that. Because I can not get the specials list on my screen easily. A slider bar on the bottom would help.
I did try to rearange the list horizontally, I did try to delete some of the categories, or to expand them. For some reason none of the actions I tried accomplished those goals.

I have in recent months asked for that lighthouse effectiveness circle upgrade. Your response was both encouraging and, in a way, frightening. I feel I must tread lightly and carefully when suggesting features, lest all other work would be dropped to add such on.

So this is just to put this on a future to-do list, more so/quicker if easily done, less so/slower if not easy.

A much longer because it is less useful and more likely to be a pain to do, would be a button that toggles all things on the screen on and off, leaving the basic star map in view. Please consider putting this on a very long timeframe upgrade list.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: 15 inch Cintiq screen

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Suggestions like that, made here on the forum, have this tendency to get buried and forgotten faster than you can write them (especially those which aren't meant to be picked up soon). If you want to make sure that they have at least some realistic chance to stay on someone's radar, open a feature request issue on github (ideally one separate issue for each distinct feature). You can also open corresponding threads here on the forum where the design discussion for these features shall happen, and include a link to that thread in the issue(s) you open on github.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:If you want to make sure that they have at least some realistic chance to stay on someone's radar, open a feature request issue on github...
Is that realistically any more effective? There are 160 issues open as of this writing.
godel wrote:...a button that toggles all things on the screen on and off, leaving the basic star map in view.
Press escape repeatedly.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Is that realistically any more effective? There are 160 issues open as of this writing.
Well, it's probably debatable just how realistic it is for a feature request to not get forgotten even on our github tracker, but I think it's quite save to say it certainly has a better chance there than if just posted here on the forum.

At least, that's my impression...

godel
Space Dragon

#5 Post by godel »

OK I am a bit lazy and likely to be/get lost.
URL to that github?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#6 Post by Dilvish »

godel wrote:OK I am a bit lazy and likely to be/get lost.
URL to that github?
Follow the link from Geoff's post above.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

godel
Space Dragon

#7 Post by godel »

Thanks for pointing out the url.

So adding a slider to the bottom would take a non trivial amount of time? OK, thanks for your time.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

godel wrote:So adding a slider to the bottom would take a non trivial amount of time? OK, thanks for your time.
Many things in the to do list are trivial, just non important. If you give preference to all the trivial changes you may not see much advance on the important stuff.
On the other hand, given that your suggestion seems trivial in difficulty and required time, why don't you step forward and give it a try? That's the beautiful of the open-source projects run by volunteers. I'm not expecting you to do that, of course. I myself am a player that enjoys the game but at most contributes with some ideas and play-testing although I should be able to contribute with some programming, so I wouldn't dare to have any expectations or bad feelings towards anyone that does not contribute to the project (and even less towards the volunteers, no matter if they implement the suggestions I make).

godel
Space Dragon

#9 Post by godel »

It has been quite a while since I programmed professionally.
The OOP stuff was not so strongly there in 2002. I generally predate OOP.

Still the question must have an answer as it is *so* standard: how to join the programming team for one small update, what language, and would they accept my contributions?

I will look on the forum for an answer.
I found this and thanks:
http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=10259

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by Oberlus »

godel wrote:- how to join the programming team for one small update
Do a "git pull" of the freeorion repository (just in case: that's the command line in linux to get the project into your PC, there are several GUI alternatives also for Windows); program, compile and test your stuff in your PC; once it works it is at least good for you (even if the feature is not accepted in the main project); then you have to do something... merge request or something like that?
godel wrote:- what language
Python and C++, I think. You can browse the source code in the github link you already saw.
godel wrote:- and would they accept my contributions?
If it works, and does not disrupt anything else, and is a reasonable useful feature, I bet they will.

godel
Space Dragon

#11 Post by godel »

Thanks!