Stargates cant be use

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
waldi1978
Space Krill

Stargates cant be use

#1 Post by waldi1978 »

it takes a long time to unlock and to build, and then there is no window or chance to activate any stargate. :roll:

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Stargates cant be use

#2 Post by Dilvish »

As it says in the Pedia description for the Stargate building
To activate the stargate, set the planet to the Stargate Send focus and a planet with a Stargate in another system to the Stargate Receive focus.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#3 Post by defaultuser »

Remember that you need to activate both ends. The icons look a bit alike, so make sure that the appropriate ones are set to send and receive.

waldi1978
Space Krill

#4 Post by waldi1978 »

in my Version v0.4.5 is no icon to set any Stargate mody. not in fleet mode, not at buildings, nothing. it seems to be forgotten.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

waldi1978 wrote:in my Version v0.4.5 ...
That version is almost 3 years old. Most people's responses will have assumed something newer, and most people don't recall when features were added that far back.

Dilvish

#6 Post by Dilvish »

waldi1978 wrote:in my Version v0.4.5 is no icon to set any Stargate mody. not in fleet mode, not at buildings, nothing. it seems to be forgotten.
As the instructions I quoted to you above indicate, the Starget is not activated by interacting with fleet settings nor by interacting with a building-- it is activated by setting the planet's Focus, both at the sending end and at the receiving end.

The icons for those were added in 0.4.2 and I am pretty confident that they work just fine in 0.4.5. That said, as Geoff mentioned, 0.4.5 is three years old at this point-- there has been a ton of improvement in general since then. I'd highly recommend that you play with a current version.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

waldi1978
Space Krill

#7 Post by waldi1978 »

Ich verwende Linux Ubuntu als Betriebssystem und habe die aktuellste Version nun heruntergeladen. Leider aktualisiert sich das Spiel nicht selbständig. Die entpackten Dateien bieten keine setup oder installationsdatei an. Auch der Versuch über die Konsole zu installieren schlug fehl. Und die aktualisierungsverwaltung meldet, das bereits alles aktuell ist. Wie ersetze ich nun die Version 0.4.5, wenn sich das Update in keinster Weise installieren lässt? Hat Jemand einen Rat für mich oder eine Anleitung?

Ah ok ich hab das mit dem Fokus ändern nicht ausprobiert gehabt. Alles klar, da ist tatsächlich eine Einstellmöglichkeit. Es geht sogar. Leider bisschen umständlich. Außerdem glaube ich kann man nicht auswählen, welche Schiffe bewegt werden sollen und welche nicht. Es werden einfach alle Schiffe und Flotten versetzt.

Dilvish

#8 Post by Dilvish »

For building FO, I'd start by uninstalling or ignoring your current installation, and follow our main build instructions. Then you could add it to your menus (or if the package installation of FO made a menu entry, just edit it to point to the newly built version).

I agree it would be really cool to have an auto-update feature. I'm doubtful about when anyone on the dev team might have time to try tackling something like that, but if you could point us to some other FLOSS software with such a feature, that would be a good reference point for a feature-request Issue at our Github repo.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#9 Post by defaultuser »

Ah ok ich hab das mit dem Fokus ändern nicht ausprobiert gehabt. Alles klar, da ist tatsächlich eine Einstellmöglichkeit. Es geht sogar. Leider bisschen umständlich. Außerdem glaube ich kann man nicht auswählen, welche Schiffe bewegt werden sollen und welche nicht. Es werden einfach alle Schiffe und Flotten versetzt.

Ah ok, I have not tried that with the focus change. Alright, there's actually a setting option. It even works. Unfortunately a bit awkward. Besides, I think you can not choose which ships should be moved and which not. All ships and fleets are simply transferred.
Yes, that's the way it works. Even ships like comsats transfer. To prevent that, you need to move the ships out of the system before you activate the gate.

Ja, so funktioniert es. Sogar Schiffe wie Comsats übertragen. Um dies zu verhindern, müssen Sie die Schiffe aus dem System entfernen, bevor Sie das Tor aktivieren.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#10 Post by defaultuser »

Something to remember. As you have to change the focus of the planet to use the gate, choose the planet that will have the least impact when you change the focus. That's especially true when the star gate will be used often. Production or research will start dropping to minimum levels, and you lose growth bonuses.

Etwas zum erinnern. Wenn du den Fokus des Planeten ändern musst, um das Tor zu benutzen, wähle den Planeten, der die geringste Auswirkung hat, wenn du den Fokus änderst. Das gilt besonders, wenn das Sternentor oft benutzt wird. Produktion oder Forschung werden anfangen, auf ein Minimum zu fallen, und Sie verlieren Wachstumsboni.