bombardment strange things with 0.48 rc2 (and before...)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
phocas
Space Floater

bombardment strange things with 0.48 rc2 (and before...)

#1 Post by phocas »

[edit title]

hello

while playing with the last v0.4.8 ppa-v0.4.8 [build 2018-06-24.4983374] from linux PPA i saw 2 strange things that i can not explain
i can provide log and saved game if needed

bombardment
bumped against a robotic ancient guardians with 100+ defends troops defending the Thabit asteroid
i tried the soft way via bombardement+EMP
i seldom use bombardment so don't know if it was this way in 0.47

1) it is maybe a feature but i was surprised that the bombardement is only for 2 turns and that you have to manually select bombardment again and again.
it will be better if bombardment was going until all the defenders are dead or tje player cancel it

2) and last when you have killed all the defenders the bombardment stay active,
the cancel button is not working (and should not be there at all)
even if the ship with EMP is moved and no more around the star. the cancel button stay

Last edited by phocas on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

Re: strange things with 0.48 rc2

#2 Post by Jaumito »

phocas wrote:bombardment
bumped against a robotic ancient guardians with 100+ defends troops defending the Thabit asteroid
i tried the soft way via bombardement+EMP
i seldom use bombardment so don't know if it was this way in 0.47
It was, every bit of it. So nothing specific to 0.4.8 here.

phocas
Space Floater

#3 Post by phocas »

Jaumito wrote:
ok for the 1) but what about the 2)

?? with the "cancel bombardment" button staying several turns after the combat end (no more target nor bomber ship)

the button stayed even after restarting the game. t was only after a computer reboot (lunch time..) that it vanished

phocas
Space Floater

#4 Post by phocas »

one more strange thing

look at the bomber icone on one of the ships, the "farmer". the two have exactly the same design with robot hull and EMP in all external slots

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#5 Post by Jaumito »

phocas wrote:
Jaumito wrote:
ok for the 1) but what about the 2)

?? with the "cancel bombardment" button staying several turns after the combat end (no more target nor bomber ship)

the button stayed even after restarting the game. t was only after a computer reboot (lunch time..) that it vanished
When I wrote "every bit of it", I meant it. So yes, both 1) and 2) are present in 0.4.7. AFAICT, the only way to get rid of the "cancel bombardment" button is to move all the fleets away, including non-bomber ones - and I'm not even sure it always works.

Jaumito
Space Kraken

#6 Post by Jaumito »

phocas wrote:one more strange thing

look at the bomber icone on one of the ships, the "farmer". the two have exactly the same design with robot hull and EMP in all external slots
That too can happen in 0.4.7.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

@phocas, I bet devs will see these as bugs. Good report. I encourage you to open an issue for each of these missbehaves.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#8 Post by Dilvish »

Jaumito wrote:

Please be explicit about what you think the bug is there, or what exactly looks odd to you. If it's just that only one of them is marked for bombardment, then I expect that's because only one of them was told to bombard. That might fit in with the general complaint about the bombardment UI patterns being too much of a nuisance, but if you want your feedback to be effective you need to be as clear as possible.

Also, when you go to open up issues for any of this, be sure to first check for any existing issues about bombardment. If there is already one about the same aspect of bombardment then you should just add to that one rather than make another Issue about the same thing.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Jaumito
Space Kraken

#9 Post by Jaumito »

Dilvish wrote:
Jaumito wrote:

Please be explicit about what you think the bug is there, or what exactly looks odd to you. If it's just that only one of them is marked for bombardment, then I expect that's because only one of them was told to bombard.
I think I can clarify for him: when you first order a fleet to bombard, everything seems fine on that turn, with every ship in the fleet displaying the "falling bomb" purple icon. But on subsequent turns, weird things happen: some ships will lose that icon, in the system pane the "cancel bombardment" button will be replaced with the "bombard" one, and if you then order the fleet(s) to "bombard" again, the "cancel bombardment" button will appear again but will become unresponsive.

Happens whether you use one fleet or several, as long as there are at least two bomber ships in the system.

I would have reported this myself long ago, but since it happens about 100% of the time in my experience, I assumed it was a known issue and didn't bother to check.

phocas
Space Floater

#10 Post by phocas »

Jaumito wrote: I think I can clarify for him: when you first order a fleet to bombard, everything seems fine on that turn, with every ship in the fleet displaying the "falling bomb" purple icon. But on subsequent turns, weird things happen: some ships will lose that icon, in the system pane the "cancel bombardment" button will be replaced with the "bombard" one, and if you then order the fleet(s) to "bombard" again, the "cancel bombardment" button will appear again but will become unresponsive.
Happens whether you use one fleet or several, as long as there are at least two bomber ships in the system.
I would have reported this myself long ago, but since it happens about 100% of the time in my experience, I assumed it was a known issue and didn't bother to check.
that's exactly that with 2 bomber ships thanks Jaumito

i will look for reporting in github