Notes on rev 4776

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Zireael
Space Dragon

Notes on rev 4776

#1 Post by Zireael »

1. What's the max for the meters now?
2. Species randomization is off - I have seen 3 Hhohh players and 2 Human in an 11 AI game
3. Can't change the save folder to something on a different drive - I go up to when I see the individual drive letters, choose one of them and invariably FO closes and Windows Explorer opens
4. I've seen random starvation once or twice
5. Can't create whole fleets at once, have to add each ship manually
6. Can't split a ship from the fleet in-flight
Sitrep messages that go onto a new line intersect other sitrep messages. Sitrep links sometimes don't work when they're on a new line.
- Bigjoe5 reported these two months ago and I see it
Xing out of a window overtop of the FO window causes the game to think the mouse button is being held down until it is clicked again. Likewise, clicking during turn processing causes the same problem.
- as above, still see it
9. Buildable stuff to be ordered alphabetically
10. Stuff which gives bonuses only once not available to be built multiple times (i.e. Industrial Farms, Industrial Center)
11. Terraforming not showing up on the 'available' list for planets which were terraformed

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: Notes on rev 4776

#2 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Zireael wrote:1. What's the max for the meters now?
Meters are no longer capped.
9. Buildable stuff to be ordered alphabetically
It is ordered alphabetically, more or less. The exceptions are the shipyards, which are grouped together due to their internal names all starting with BLD_SHIPYARD (which is desirable, IMO), and ship designs which are ordered by age (maybe this could/should be changed...?)
11. Terraforming not showing up on the 'available' list for planets which were terraformed
Terraforming does show up as available on terraformed planets if they are still not at the EP of the inhabiting species. If they are, then there's no advantage to building it.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by eleazar »

Zireael wrote:2. Species randomization is off - I have seen 3 Hhohh players and 2 Human in an 11 AI game
A random selection doesn't guarantee an even selection. I agree though, what we want here is maximum variety.
I added a feature request for this.

Zireael wrote:4. I've seen random starvation once or twice
Yep, "food" and "starvation" are being worked on.
Zireael wrote:5. Can't create whole fleets at once, have to add each ship manually
I can.
a) In the upper fleet window
select multiple ships, and drag them onto another ship.

b) in the lower fleet window:
select multiple ships and drag them onto the "create a new fleet" button
Zireael wrote:6. Can't split a ship from the fleet in-flight
That's intentional. Once ships are in a starlane, they are committed until they get to the next system.

Zireael wrote:10. Stuff which gives bonuses only once not available to be built multiple times (i.e. Industrial Farms, Industrial
Agreed, and if you capture another, the bonuses shouldn't stack. It's just a matter of incomplete content scripting. Patches are welcome.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#4 Post by Zireael »

Re: 5. When I build, say 10 Mk I's or 10 Troop Ships, I have to add them to a single fleet manually. That's what I meant.

No. 3 is especially annoying, as the default folder is hard to find in Win7 and I want to change it to a folder on the same drive as FO and I can't.
Quote:

Terraforming does show up as available on terraformed planets if they are still not at the EP of the inhabiting species. If they are, then there's no advantage to building it.
Um, right. Mea culpa.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:3. Can't change the save folder to something on a different drive - I go up to when I see the individual drive letters, choose one of them and invariably FO closes and Windows Explorer opens
I've seen a report or two about something like this, but can't reproduce it myself on Windows 7 or Vista. I have an internal hard drive, external USB hard drive, and a SD memory card all accessible without problem. Whatever is opening up Windows Explorer on your system is not something in FO code.

Try just typing in the directory you want, rather than using the in-game directory browser GUI.

Or maybe try uncheking "Open each folder in its own window" in the Windows folder options? Something on your system is treating FO (using Boost filesystem) directory iteration or access as something Windows itself should handle, so maybe that would help?

Zireael
Space Dragon

#6 Post by Zireael »

Another idea: Make bonuses (from focus or tech or special) percentile of population. Now, for example, Mining focus on a planet with a Mineral Rich special is +50, while in Heavy Mining the same special gives percentile bonus. The result? With low population, Mining is 10x more efficient than the Heavy Mining, which should obviously be the more efficient.

Damaged Computronium Moon special gives +3 to research, which is barely noticeable.
There are others in this vein, but I can't remember exactly.

@ up: Will try typing in directly. Thx.

EDIT: The AIs colonize two or three planets and then they're content. The good thing they do is build Mk V or VIs... however, I've yet to see any special hulls (Robotic, Asteroid etc.) used.
Kind of silly when I've got 10 planets and then 15... They should be more active.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:They should be more active.
Patches welcome.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#8 Post by Zireael »

One more thing - would it be possible to spread the resource icons more or make the gain/loss a tooltip? Currently, the third digit of the gain is obsured by the next icon. The same is true for fleet icons...

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by eleazar »

Zireael wrote:One more thing - would it be possible to spread the resource icons more or make the gain/loss a tooltip? Currently, the third digit of the gain is obsured by the next icon. The same is true for fleet icons...
I see that in the fleet display, but not with resource icons.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#10 Post by Zireael »

Fourth digit, not third (i.e. +204.3, and I don't see .3). I didn't have FO open when I typed it. Still, the problem is here.