Notes on rev 4961

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Zireael
Space Dragon

Notes on rev 4961

#1 Post by Zireael »

1) I had a weird happening - attached a screen. Look for the mouse cursor...
2) Related - I wanted to attach saves for the above and saw that I had leftover saves from a previous installation, but no new autosaves. In addition, FO displays A LOT of saves in the folder, even though I periodically cleaned the folder and it shows as empty in Windows Explorer.

/I deinstalled earlier test exe and installed in the same folder, as I've been doing for 3 months, ever since Norton 360 stopped liking FO. This path is whitelisted, if I installed FO anywhere else, I'd have to do the whole whitelisting thing again.../
Attachments
screen.png
screen.png (491.94 KiB) Viewed 1265 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Notes on rev 4961

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Location of the executable has nothing to do with the location of save files.

If you changed your save file directory, then changed the game version, the new version might not know where the old saves were stored, and you might be looking at the wrong place? Check in the options screen directories tab to see where the game is looking for saves.

The missing planet name is probably due to it not being visible... Guess another special case for naming displaying is required.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#3 Post by Zireael »

Planet name is one thing that is missing - where did the population (growth) and other bars (resources) go? Of three panels that should be there, only one is (the buildings one).

EDIT: And the saves folder is the default one all the time, I have a shortcut pointing to it on my desktop, so I clean it regularly and I know what Windows says about its contents :P

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

Zireael wrote:Planet name is one thing that is missing - where did the population (growth) and other bars (resources) go? Of three panels that should be there, only one is (the buildings one).
As Geoff said, that planet is presumably stealthed. Population and resources should be hidden. Buildings (at least surface buildings)should be too, but that apparently isn't working right.

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:Planet name is one thing that is missing - where did the population (growth) and other bars (resources) go? Of three panels that should be there, only one is (the buildings one).
You don't have visibility of the planet, so all your empire knows is that there's a planet there and it has a few buildings on it. To determine if there is population or resources being produced, you'll need better detection.
EDIT: And the saves folder is the default one all the time, I have a shortcut pointing to it on my desktop, so I clean it regularly and I know what Windows says about its contents :P
I'm not clear on what you mean by "saw that I had leftover saves" and "[folder] shows as empty", but I don't think FreeOrion or the boost filesystem code would create imaginary saves to show you. Do they load or appear in the in-game file browser and start loading when opened before having an error (possibly due to version changes)? If so, they exist somewhere.
eleazar wrote: As Geoff said, that planet is presumably stealthed. Population and resources should be hidden. Buildings (at least surface buildings)should be too, but that apparently isn't working right.
Building stealth works like ship stealth: if a building is not stealthy, then it will be visible to another empire regardless of its planet's stealth. And, if a building is visible, that makes the planet the building is on at least basically visible (enough to see what's seen in this screenshot), similar to how a fleet is visible if a ship in the fleet is visible, or a system is visible if any of its contents are visible to an empire. If you want planets to be fully hidden, then the planet and all buildings on it need to be stealthy.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#6 Post by em3 »

That's Windows7. Maybe the save files are in the "virtual store"? If the saves are kept somewhere inside Program Files, that could be the case.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

em3 wrote:Maybe the save files are in the "virtual store"? If the saves are kept somewhere inside Program Files, that could be the case.
They are not; on Windows 7 saves are by default kept in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion\save

Zireael
Space Dragon

#8 Post by Zireael »

Yes, that is the folder they are kept in. On installing rev 4986, I had emptied the folder. Alas, leftover saves still show up in FO, although they cannot be loaded (end in a "connection to the server has been lost" message).

EDIT: And now, none show, even the single save I made in 4986.