Notes on rev 5155

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Zireael
Space Dragon

Notes on rev 5155

#1 Post by Zireael »

Okay, I'm back from my vacation... so, here goes:

1) Yaay for objects list!!!
2) ... and the icons in SitRep!!!
3) ... and filters in SitRep!!!
4) ... and for previous/next buttons in SitRep!!!

--------------------
And now for things which could be improved:
1) Different icons in SitRep for production & exploration - currently they use the same pic as all other ship-related news.
2) There is a typo in the sitrep message for refueling - 'refuled' should be 'refueled'

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Notes on rev 5155

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:1) Different icons in SitRep for production & exploration - currently they use the same pic as all other ship-related news.
Feel free to provide new icons to replace the duplicates in /default/data/art/icons/sitrep/

Zireael
Space Dragon

#3 Post by Zireael »

The filters for the object list don't work.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Zireael wrote:The filters for the object list don't work.
That's probably because they are still WIP ;)

Zireael
Space Dragon

#5 Post by Zireael »

1) On the topic of icons: I'd use the green eye (detection icon) for exploration and the industry icon for production. Problem solved without making new icons.
2) Deep Space should be named somehow to differentiate them.
3) Stop the scrolling of the build menu to the top.
4) Planetary Garrison and Orbital Habitation are missing 'science babble' entirely.
5) There should be a way to put ships produced at the same time in a single fleet upon production. Putting 20+ Mk V's in a fleet is a PITA when you have 300 industry and can churn out lots of them.
6) How do the empire meters work? An explanation is worth putting in the Game Concepts...
7) Outposts, Colonies & Protection Focus should be added to the Game Concepts...

EDIT: 8) Please restore increase/decrease numbers in the top menu or, I don't know, if you want to save space on the bar, color the numbers red/green.

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:6) How do the empire meters work? An explanation is worth putting in the Game Concepts...
7) Outposts, Colonies & Protection Focus should be added to the Game Concepts...
These are changes you can make and submit...

Zireael
Space Dragon

#7 Post by Zireael »

Uh, I can write the text, but I don't know how to submit it to sourceforge... I could write it on the forums, and you folks would put it on sourceforge...?

Will try to write Colonies and Outposts explanations today. Alas, I don't understand empire meters at all...

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:I could write it on the forums, and you folks would put it on sourceforge...?
Ideally, you'd make SVN diff patch files for your changes to eng_stringtable.txt and encyclopedia.txt. Post these on the forums.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#9 Post by Zireael »

Alas, I have no idea how to do that, so here goes:

Colony - The people sent to inhabit a new planet. A colony has an initial population, the number varying depending on the pod used. A colony cannot be placed on an uninhabitable celestial body - instead, an outpost has to be used.
Outpost - Unmanned outposts are used to gain control of uninhabitable celestial bodies, such as gas giants and asteroids. Outposts do not have a population number.

-------------------------
Can anyone tell me what do the empire meters and protection focus do?

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:Alas, I have no idea how to do that
Install an SVN client, such as TortoiseSVN for Windows, check out the SVN repository, modify the files, and then (if using TortoiseSVN) right click a modified file or directory containing multiple modified files and select "Create patch..." and save and upload the result.

You should also edit encyclopedia.txt to add the new article. The format should be clear from what's already in it. Just pasting a few lines of text doesn't really save an time over me doing the editing, and if you have any interest in future contributions, getting SVN will be necessary (even if you're not programming).

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by eleazar »

Zireael wrote:Can anyone tell me what .... protection focus do?
Currently this:

Code: Select all

SetMaxTroops Value + 25
                SetMaxDefense Value + 25
                SetMaxShield Value + 25

I actually added an outpost string table a while ago, but failed to wire it in:

'''Outposts are unmanned stations, which can be founded in places too hostile for a colony to survive. They have no population, and normally produce no resources. But they create supply lines (+1) and provide vision. Colonies can be founded on planets that already have an Outpost. To build an Outpost, you need to put an outpost pod on a ship.'''

Zireael
Space Dragon

#12 Post by Zireael »

Back to the original topic:
1) It's possible to enqueue two copies of a building.
2) It's possible to build a building even if it exists on the planet.

Annoying as ....