Notes on 5574

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
yandonman
Creative Contributor

Notes on 5574

#1 Post by yandonman »

* Performance seems better (yay!) - got to 200 before I noticed turn lag (but played 64 system map, 3 AIs)
* Not a fan of the new 2x, 3x, 4x production queue modifiers. Seems like there are too many now and overly concentrated on the small end. Maybe just put 3x?
* Perceived AI difficulty: medium.

* Recently noticed that naturally occurring Gaia Specials will automatically 'terraform' a planet from hostile to good if settled with a species/planet type which equates to hostile planet environment. Gaia construction, however, requires a good planet environment to build - which misses out on the cool 'auto-terraform' aspect. Might we consider removing the "good" environment restriction on the Gaia building?
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Notes on 5574

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

yandonman wrote:* Not a fan of the new 2x, 3x, 4x production queue modifiers. Seems like there are too many now and overly concentrated on the small end.
They are concentrated on the small end because that's when a difference of 1 or 2 might be useful. I found it annoying to have to put multiple items on the queue to build 2 or 3 of something to use up my available PP. If the only option is 1 or 5 (or even 3) then this is more likely to happen.
Gaia construction ... requires a good planet environment to build - which misses out on the cool 'auto-terraform' aspect. Might we consider removing the "good" environment restriction on the Gaia building?
That would mean Gaia construction would skip the rather large terraforming cost. If the cost of Gaia were increase significantly, then it might be balanced, but it's presently only 500, while terraforming costs 200 for the first step, 400 for the second, 600 for the third, etc.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by yandonman »

* A small bit of fleet ghosts seen
FleetGhosts.jpg
FleetGhosts.jpg (41.93 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

yandonman wrote:* A small bit of fleet ghosts seen
Fixed.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
yandonman wrote:* Not a fan of the new 2x, 3x, 4x production queue modifiers. Seems like there are too many now and overly concentrated on the small end.
They are concentrated on the small end because that's when a difference of 1 or 2 might be useful. I found it annoying to have to put multiple items on the queue to build 2 or 3 of something to use up my available PP. If the only option is 1 or 5 (or even 3) then this is more likely to happen.
Ya, I was uncertain at first, but I've decided I do like having choices between 1 and 5, & use them quite often.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by yandonman »

Other notes:
  • Two fleets given order to goto same system (doesn't have to be same destination?) and then both fleets don't move -- Not consistently reproducible, but seems to happen more in the late game
  • Sometimes orders don't take (When research completes?) -- Not easily/consistently reproducible
  • Gaia special nuked my civs? Creation of black hole nuke my civ? (not sure how this happened, but somehow lost all the population on my capital... possibly hit evacuation? (but I don't think so))
  • Gaia special repeatedly spams its message even if it doesn't change the planet type.