Notes on rev 5620

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
yandonman
Creative Contributor

Notes on rev 5620

#1 Post by yandonman »

Notes on rev 5620 w/ 1/9/2013 SVN default

Wee!! Fun!!!
  • AI perceived difficulty: Hard! (hard core, yeah!! .... granted placement and race selection make a big difference)
  • Love the new AI ships (Devils!!!)
  • Appreciate the "click-invade-deslect-ship". Thumbs up for usability!
  • Tabs on Galaxy Setup don't move to next field (minor annoying)
  • Dragging a fleet (in the Fleet Window) from the bottom of the list to add it to the top fleet seems to hang the scrollbar (requires enough fleets for there to be a scrollbar). Dragging other fleets seems to solve this issue.
  • Cray seem pretty powerful. Egassem definitely challenging to play / underpowered.
  • Cray fast tech to Quantum on a forgiving map was OP. No Neutronium armor needed. vs Chato/Etty/Chato
  • Sometimes I can't "see" my own planets. (pink specials are: Dimensional Burrowers and Dimensional Rift, respectively). I don't see this on all of my planets / this actually seems to be associated with planets I invade, but don't quite have the tech for.
    OwnEmpireVisibility.jpg
    OwnEmpireVisibility.jpg (31.62 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
  • Turn lag at turn 175 (86 star map, 3 AI) / Turn lag sometimes results in mouse sticking over "Turn" button, and when I try to click somewhere else, it clicks the turn button again. (minor annoyance)
  • 'Void Monsters' - Monsters inside the core of this planet are dragging it into the void. _There should perhaps be some impending doom associated with this special_ <humor!!>
  • System name color should reflect multiple owner ship better (currently owning first planet in system gives mistaken impression that you own the whole system). yes, I know there's previous threads on this - but this made my notes because of the misleading aspects of the current setup
  • Concentration Camps eventually kill all of the population? What's the usecase where this is a viable choice? (is this evacuate but with a minor benefit?) As it is, it ends up with zero population and zero production.
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Notes on rev 5620

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

yandonman wrote:[*]Tabs on Galaxy Setup don't move to next field (minor annoying)
Tabs don't work anywhere, do they?
[*]Dragging a fleet (in the Fleet Window) from the bottom of the list to add it to the top fleet seems to hang the scrollbar (requires enough fleets for there to be a scrollbar). Dragging other fleets seems to solve this issue.
Either I don't understand, or I can't replicate; dragging the bottom fleet to the top autoscrolls the list fo rme.
[*]Sometimes I can't "see" my own planets. (pink specials are: Dimensional Burrowers and Dimensional Rift, respectively). I don't see this on all of my planets / this actually seems to be associated with planets I invade, but don't quite have the tech for.
No idea what you're talking about... The pink special planet doesn't have scanlines.
[*]Concentration Camps eventually kill all of the population? What's the usecase where this is a viable choice? (is this evacuate but with a minor benefit?) As it is, it ends up with zero population and zero production.[/list]
I think the original point of them was to remove the species on the planet. Maybe this is redundant with evacuations now being available, so they don't need so harsh a penalty to population?

Sloth
Content Scripter

#3 Post by Sloth »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
yandonman wrote:
[*]Sometimes I can't "see" my own planets. (pink specials are: Dimensional Burrowers and Dimensional Rift, respectively). I don't see this on all of my planets / this actually seems to be associated with planets I invade, but don't quite have the tech for.
No idea what you're talking about... The pink special planet doesn't have scanlines.
I think he meant stars. The stealth specials grant stealth to the system. This should be removed, since it doesn't really do anything but adds annoying scanlines.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Burkey
Space Squid

#4 Post by Burkey »

yandonman wrote:
[*]Appreciate the "click-invade-deslect-ship". Thumbs up for usability!
MEGA thumbs up for this one, was so annoying having to click a different fleet then back again to invade like 3 planets at once....

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by yandonman »

Ah... but they should! :) -- (more seriously, this was a "it should" not that I was expecting that it does)

My apologies, I did misstate what was going on here - and Sloth did correctly ferret out my meaning - the star shows scan lines even though I own everything in the system sometimes.

Either I don't understand, or I can't replicate; dragging the bottom fleet to the top autoscrolls the list fo rme.
Again, apologies for lack of a more clear explanation. What I was trying to convey:
1. Click on a main-map fleet icon that represents 5 or more fleets. (the fleet window will only show 3 fleets at a given time, it's probably just more than 3)
2. Scroll down to the bottom fleet and select it (click on it)
3. Drag and drop that bottom fleet into the top fleet. Note that you'll have to drag the bottom fleet up to the top of the fleet window to get it to scroll up to see the top fleet.
4. Once you've combined the bottom fleet into the top fleet, try to scroll wheel or drag the scroll bar down - my experience is that the scroll bar is now stuck at the top.

Clicking on any other system's fleet(s) will resolve the problem and unlock the scroll bar for any fleet that is selected. Granted, minor but I ran into it a couple of times over the course of a game.

Concentration Camps
My initial impression (and the one that I held for a long time) was that concentration camps' intention were to give an "evil boost to production", mainly due to the "5x industry" boost. I kind of like the grit/evilness of this research; to convey its intent, stating that it's a "temporary 5x industry boost" would probably work. Musings: Need more evil stuff...
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

yandonman wrote:
Ah... but they should! :) -- (more seriously, this was a "it should" not that I was expecting that it does)
Patches welcome.
1. Click on a main-map fleet icon that represents 5 or more fleets. (the fleet window will only show 3 fleets at a given time, it's probably just more than 3)
In case you weren't aware, it can be resized.
3. Drag and drop that bottom fleet into the top fleet. Note that you'll have to drag the bottom fleet up to the top of the fleet window to get it to scroll up to see the top fleet.
4. Once you've combined the bottom fleet into the top fleet, try to scroll wheel or drag the scroll bar down - my experience is that the scroll bar is now stuck at the top.
Works fine for me. Random instances of things getting stuck in weird places have been observed though... I think one of your youtube videos had something similar happen.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#7 Post by Dilvish »

yandonman wrote:What I was trying to convey:

Clicking on any other system's fleet(s) will resolve the problem and unlock the scroll bar for any fleet that is selected. Granted, minor but I ran into it a couple of times over the course of a game.
I used to get that one quite a bit, but it's been a while since I'd noticed it; thought it was gone, but maybe I've just got super-used to fixing it by clicking on another fleet, heh. I'll try to keep in mind if it happens again, see if I can figure out anything repeatable.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#8 Post by em3 »

yandonman wrote:My initial impression (and the one that I held for a long time) was that concentration camps' intention were to give an "evil boost to production", mainly due to the "5x industry" boost. I kind of like the grit/evilness of this research; to convey its intent, stating that it's a "temporary 5x industry boost" would probably work. Musings: Need more evil stuff...
IRL the production from concentration camp is just an added benefit. They were created to exterminate a population (nation, race, etc.). Yes, "temporary boost" sounds appropriate.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#9 Post by Dilvish »

yandonman wrote:
  • AI perceived difficulty: Hard! (hard core, yeah!! .... granted placement and race selection make a big difference)
BTW, turns out you were right about AIs not using Neutronium Armor, I had a glitch in some code for planning the necessary buildings. That's just fixed as of 5630 (&applied to a couple other buildings as well), so they should be even a bit harder now...
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0