[6261] Feedback on the current state of FreeOrion in Debian

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: [6261] Feedback on the current state of FreeOrion in Deb

#31 Post by Vezzra »

Apo wrote:First of all Freeorion is already part of Debian and available here.
Excellent :D
As soon as 0.4.3 is released I will ask my "sponsor" to upload Freeorion to Debian unstable.
What's the current status on that? 0.4.3 has been out for several days...
From there it will be automatically mirrored by Ubuntu, so that I assume it will be part of Ubuntu 13.10.
Good :D
If you want to provide more recent developer snapshots of Freeorion for Debian based users, then that's an excellent idea.
Well, the problem is, we've to rely on Nagilum for that. Unfortunately, as far as I understood, his ability to contribute to FO is very limited ATM. As I already mentioned, he can't/doesn't follow the discussions on the forums, only responds to PMs. He only did the RC builds at my request, I doubt that he will be able to provide test builds in the near future.

So unless someone else comes along who's capable and willing to take over that task, the only builds for Linux available will be the official releases provided by the Debian repos. I can only provide builds for Windows and OSX.

Apo
Space Squid

#32 Post by Apo »

As soon as 0.4.3 is released I will ask my "sponsor" to upload Freeorion to Debian unstable.
What's the current status on that? 0.4.3 has been out for several days...
I can't upload the game myself because I lack the necessary rights, but I'm working on it. I still need a Debian developer who "sponsors" uploads of FreeOrion but he is quite busy at the moment though. It mIght take a few days more.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#33 Post by Vezzra »

Apo wrote:I can't upload the game myself because I lack the necessary rights, but I'm working on it. I still need a Debian developer who "sponsors" uploads of FreeOrion but he is quite busy at the moment though. It mIght take a few days more.
That's perfectly fine :D

Apo
Space Squid

#34 Post by Apo »

FreeOrion 0.4.3 is now in Debian unstable.

http://packages.debian.org/source/unstable/freeorion

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#35 Post by Dilvish »

Apo wrote:
Or just manually create a Version.cpp since that's probably less work, but you seem to dislike having to do that.
I thought this would be a solution but unfortunately the build system overrides Version.cpp at build time and when I remove Version.cpp.in the game fails to build from source. I guess I go back to my first solution, patching CMakeList.txt and inserting the version string manually.
Couldn't the script called by CMake for generating Version.cpp be able to check if any of the source files have a modification time/date later than that of Version.cpp and only generate a new Version.cpp file if that is that is the case?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#36 Post by Dilvish »

Apo wrote:FreeOrion 0.4.3 is now in Debian unstable. http://packages.debian.org/source/unstable/freeorion
If I take '/source' out of that URL it works for me, but not as-is...
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Apo
Space Squid

#37 Post by Apo »

Dilvish wrote:
Apo wrote:FreeOrion 0.4.3 is now in Debian unstable. http://packages.debian.org/source/unstable/freeorion
If I take '/source' out of that URL it works for me, but not as-is...
This seems to be a temporary error. Better use this page here, it provides a lot of additional information and links about FreeOrion.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/f/freeorion.html
Couldn't the script called by CMake for generating Version.cpp be able to check if any of the source files have a modification time/date later than that of Version.cpp and only generate a new Version.cpp file if that is that is the case?
I was recently reminded about "autorevision", a tool that extracts metadata about the current revision from a repository and makes it available even if you remove vcs-related files or directories.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/autorevision/

It might be available in Debian in a few months. Currently I can live with replacing the version string ??? with 6281 by using a small patch, so that users can see 0.4.3 SVN[6281] CMake in-game.